Women of Troy victorious in San Diego

USC’s No. 10 rowing team competed in the 42nd annual San Diego Crew Classic Saturday and Sunday in Mission Bay.

Saturday’s action saw four USC boats qualify for finals including a defense of the Jessop-Whittier Cup (V8) and the Karen Plumleigh Cortney Cup (V4). The Women of Troy were also competing to win the Jackie Ann Stitt Hungness Trophy (2V8) and the Carley Copley Cup (3V8).

The varsity eight placed second in the collegiate varsity division, finishing behind Texas by just under two seconds. In the varsity four division, the Women of Troy were able to win with a time of 7:43.95, which was over 15 seconds better than second place.

As Sunday morning rolled around, the four remaining USC teams were ready to take to the water. Defending their previous championship, the 1V8 team was able to beat out the competition in the women’s collegiate varsity division. The win is USC’s fifth consecutive and the seventh time overall that they have garnered the Jessop-Whittier Cup. They also won in 2001, 2007, 2011-2015.

The Women of Troy finished with a time of 6:38.15. Their closest competitor was top qualifier Texas, who finished with a time of 6:39.74. Third place was rounded out by the University of British Columbia who ended their race with a time of 6:46.16.

The Women of Troy were led to victory by senior coxwain Kellyn Freire. Junior Madara Strautmane was at stroke for USC, and she was followed in the bow seat by senior Elizabeth Turner, junior Lindsay Gibson, junior Keret Einaste, freshman Alice Riley, junior Darian DiCianno, freshman Dorottya Bene and freshman Marliis Reinkort.

USC was unable to defend its Plumleigh Courtney Cup in the varsity four-plus grand final. Though the Women of Troy started out strong, crosstown rival UCLA was able to maintain its pace and pushed ahead in the second half of the race and finished with the win. The V4 team finished three seconds behind the Bruins with a time of 7:48.98.

The Women of Troy’s 2V grand final was also foiled despite an intense race that came down to the final moments. Both Texas and UCLA overcame the Women of Troy in the final 200m. The top three finishing teams were within three seconds of each other, blowing away the rest of the field, with the closest competitor 12 seconds slower.

The other race that the Women of Troy were able pull off the victory in was the 2V4 final where they blew closest competitor University of San Diego out of the water. The Women of Troy crossed the line in 7:57.58 while the Toreros finished the race in 8:04.88.

Calling the race for USC was sophomore Pecko Lin. Freshman Katie Hubert was in stroke for the Women of Troy, and she was followed by freshman Isabel Fitter, junior Katherine Plaxe and junior Megan Linney in bow.

The Women of Troy have nearly two weeks off before their next competition which will be on April 11. It will be an away race against UCLA at Marina del Rey.