L.A.’s New Downtown: The Classic Coffee

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

Athanasius Georgy | Daily Trojan

If you were to say you were going to Downtown Los Angeles for dining or entertainment 10 years ago, people would have thought you were crazy. The only reason you went Downtown was for cheap Persian rugs or to get a bargain at a weekend swap-meet. Even five or six years ago, it was still relatively unheard of to go to DTLA for to grab a cup-of-joe or meet up with friends at a bar. It was no Santa Monica and it sure did not have a bustling social scene. Today, the revitalization and development of Downtown Los Angeles continues to grow and flex its muscles.

One location that highlights the best today’s DTLA has to offer is The Classic Coffee. Located in Fashion District on the corner of Main and 9th St., The Classic lives up to its name. With large, ceiling-to-floor glass windows offering a view of the city, it’s like New York in L.A. The fully adorned potted-plant wall is ubiquitous on Instagram and offers a distinct taste to the environment of the shop. The Classic offers a refreshing, modern feel while still retaining a distinctive Los Angeles atmosphere. With pillow-laden stairs, benches, bars, and tables, there’s an abundance of seating perfect for conversation or getting in some solid studying. When you envision a coffee shop in an urban setting, The Classic evokes all the quintessential attributes you’d expect: tempered yet vibrating ambiance, large, open spaces, and of course, great coffee.

The Classic serves Intelligentsia Coffee, a staple of Los Angeles. You can get your Silver Lake defining brew right in Downtown, so you can forget about jumping on the 101 to get your Intel coffee fix. You can’t go wrong with any order, but a cappuccino with soy or vanilla latte with almond milk are sure to please.

Getting to The Classic isn’t too much trouble. It’s about two and a half miles from campus, so you can take a quick drive if you have a car. But considering parking is usually difficult to find in Downtown, especially by The Classic, the best way is to Uber or Metro to 7th St./Metro Center Station and walk. Whether you travel by train, car, or foot, you will not be disappointed.

The Classic is a must-try in Downtown Los Angeles. It’s simply a classic.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in economics. His column, “Food n’ Frame,” runs Tuesdays.

Follow @foodnframe on Instagram.

1. Jump The Shark
    Jump The Shark says:

“Whether you travel by train, car, or foot, you will not be disappointed.” If you travel by foot, you will be asked for ‘spare change’ every other block, by the resident ‘Bums’.