Welcome Week provides full schedule of activities

Every year, Welcome Week showcases a wide range of activities during orientation. Directed at incoming freshman and transfer students, the festivities are an introduction to the quintessential USC experience.

This year’s Welcome Week promises the same excitement as before, with events starting on move in day. Events range from pool parties and dances to the more formal Convocation.

Aug. 19: From 5 to 7 p.m., the Ronald Tutor Campus Center will host Taste of ’SC. At this event, expect free food from vendors all over Los Angeles and live musical performances. It is the perfect time to take a break from unpacking boxes and interact with other new Trojans.

Aug. 20: Graduation might close out a college career, but convocation is where President C. L.  Max Nikias gives his congratulations and well wishes for officially becoming a Trojan. From 7:30 to 9 a.m., all new students and parents are invited to a pancake breakfast, followed by a welcoming convocation ceremony.

At Convocation, students are divided into their respective schools, giving a visual representation of the diversity in academia at USC. The individual schools will later host their own events. The events provide the chance to learn more about the faculty, who will attend the events as well. Plus, it is yet another opportunity for free food.

During the early evening, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Bovard Auditorium presents a initiative unique to USC — Vision and Voices. The inaugural program for the year, Spark!, features DJ duo Urban Assault, Lula Dance Company, award-winning writers and poets, acclaimed musicians and USC faculty. As a bonus for attendance, free Vision and Voices t-shirts and bags will be handed out.

To conclude the evening, RSG will host a highlighter dance in McCarthy Quad. Starting at 9 p.m., students can line up to receive a free white t-shirt and neon accessories that will light up the night. Dancing makes the night special, but more than anything it is yet another opportunity to meet fellow new students.

Aug. 21: An integral part of the USC experience is the school pride shared among students. To pass on the traditions, spirit organization Trojan Knights share USC traditions at TCC 450. This will also teach attendees how to get involved as fans during game days.

To showcase the wide variety of USC cheers and chants, there will be a Coliseum rally from 6 to 8 p.m. Students can meet at Tommy Trojan, where there will be a class photo and a routine by the Song Girls. Though the frenetic energy will be palpable, it is just a peek of what is to come at football games.

To close out the night, find the 9 p.m. to midnight pool party at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. This gathering will, of course, include free food and upbeat music and will also highlight one of the athletic complexes USC has to offer.

Aug. 22: Saturday is the day to learn about Greek life. If you’re interested in learning more about some of the largest and oldest student organizations on campus, attend the Panhellenic Recruitment Orientation at Bovard Auditorium from 3 to 5 p.m. or the IFC All Row Greek barbecue at Alumni Park from 4 to 6 p.m. Questions can be answered about involvement and rush procedures at these sessions in a more laidback environment.

The nighttime program is quite possibly the biggest event of Welcome Week. On one end of McCarthy Quad, the carnival includes a ferris wheel, delicious food and carnival games. On the other end, a concert features a well-known musical artist. Past musical acts include Katy Perry, White Panda and Cobra Starship. This event runs from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Aug. 23: The next day,  beginning at 8 a.m., Residential Education holds its first 5K run from Tommy Trojan. All finishers will receive a medal, and all participants get a race bib.

From 7 to 9 p.m., head over to McCarthy Quad for the concert’s companion event. The Welcome Back Comedy Show features a string of comedians telling their best jokes. Past guests have included Jay Pharoah, Nasim Pedrad and Joel McHale.

Aug. 24: Monday is the official first day of classes and also presents the chance to develop some college level skills. Doheny Library teaches a crash course in library research from 10 to 11 a.m. Upcoming papers depend on good research, and tips from this session can help with a successful college career.

Aug. 25: Tuesday will bring more useful tips at the Physical Education Building from 5 to 6 p.m. Stress is inevitable with tests, papers and projects. This session teaches students how to relax their minds and bodies through breathing exercises and yoga techniques.

Aug. 26: Stretching from Trousdale Parkway to Alumni Park, the involvement fair is a way to get acquainted with student clubs and organizations on campus. The fair, held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., is the perfect opportunity for students to seek their niche on campus.