Tips for studying in London: Expect the unexpected

I spent months anticipating my semester abroad. I read countless travel blogs, and spoke to friends and family who have traveled abroad all in preparation for this trip. I packed and prepared as best as I could and I really thought that I had done my best. I thought I had it all under control, but I came to learn that there are just some things that you can never fully prepare for. You can try your best, but sometimes your best isn’t enough, and that’s honestly okay.

Following that, I’d like to share tips from all the unexpected things I’ve learned thus far, so that future London-bound travelers can be a little more at ease.

1. Rain or shine, it’s always humid.

There’s not much you can do to combat it, but the humidity is definitely one of the things that no one told me about — and it caught me completely off guard.

1. Walking shoes.

Walking shoes are essential. I heard it plenty of times before I arrived in London, but it’s really hard to fully grasp the concept until you get here. I brought my tennis shoes, but they aren’t true “walking shoes.” Walking shoes are a whole different category that isn’t very common in Los Angeles. Buy a pair of comfortable, supportive, waterproof shoes, and be prepared to walk 5-10 miles a day.

Everyone says it, but you won’t understand until you’re here. Don’t splurge on things you don’t need because it can, and will, get out of hand. One pound is equivalent to $1.63 back in the U.S., and it’s often hard to keep the exchange rate in mind. However, it’s important to limit your spending budget, because you’ll automatically spend more than in the U.S.

1. Crowds and tourists.

It’s a lot more crowded here than I ever thought it would be. It’s even worse than the first week of the semester at USC when everyone actually goes to class. There are Disneyland-size crowds everywhere you go.

1. Culture shock.

It has taken longer than I anticipated for it to sink in that I’m finally here, living in London. I looked forward to going to London for so long, and built up all these hopes and dreams for the program, but it was very disorienting when I landed and didn’t get a sense of fulfillment right away. That’s not at all to say that it isn’t a good experience. Rather, it will just take time for the realization to sink in. It may not be rainbows and unicorns from the second you land in London, especially taking culture shock and jet lag into consideration. There will be obstacles along with the good times, and that can be hard to realize in the months leading up to this trip of a lifetime.

In the end, you can prepare all you want, but you must also be prepared for the unknown. There are certain things that you simply will not be able to grasp until you get here. Learn to embrace the new and unfamiliar. On top of this all, make sure to keep an open mind and have fun! Don’t let the unexpected situations get you down.

Michelle Lee | Daily Trojan

Michelle Lee | Daily Trojan