Students should join in on the chia craze

Photo courtesy of flickr.com (Stacy Spensley)

Oftentimes when we scroll through the headlines, we see titles such as, “Acai berry: How to lose weight quick” or “Quinoa: The way to a healthier life.” We are introduced to so-called superfoods that promise to do magical things, all the while thinking, “How is that possible?” Soon enough, we find ourselves on the fifth day of our kale-salads-for-lunch diet, growing more irritable, hungry and confused as to why our daily dose of the latest sensational superfood didn’t do the trick. Well, the so-called trick to getting the most out of superfoods is getting to its core – the nutrients in these foods that make them so exceptional. For college students, especially, chia seeds is a one-of-a-kind option.

Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber, chia seeds are one of a few foods that can rightfully claim the title of “superfood.” Chia seeds come from the South American plant Salvia Hispanica, and its role in cuisine dates back to the Aztecs and the Mayans.

Though Chia seeds are relatively new to American culture, they have already found their way into our hearts – literally. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential in reducing blood pressure by cleaning up our arteries and lowering cholesterol. Chia seeds also have antioxidants, which serve to protect cells from free radicals which are the natural, but harmful, byproducts of aging. Studies show that while antioxidant supplements have not been connected with decreased cardiovascular risk, natural sources of antioxidants in foods, such as chia seeds, reduce the risk of heart disease. Fiber, the majority of the carbohydrates in chia seeds, makes you feel full and and also aid in digestion. 

Catherine Ulbricht, co-founder of Natural Standard Research Collaboration and researcher warns, however, that chia seeds have not been connected to weight loss and that people suffering from high blood pressure should ask a physician before adding chia seeds to their diet. 

Chia seeds are not recommended for weight loss, but college students can easily incorporate chia seeds into their daily regimen to add nutrients without changing their diet too drastically. For example, start the day by adding chia seeds to your yogurt at breakfast or sprinkle chia seeds over your salad at lunch. If you have extra dining hall swipes, stop by Café 84 and try their new selection of chia seed drinks.

Though food fads often lack true scientific basis, chia seeds offer the unique combination of nutrition, affordability and convenience.