Eli’s DT 4-1-1: Week of 9/21

Eli DT 411 BannerUSC News

• Let’s Get Uncomfortable: According to the results of a survey conducted by Student Affairs last spring, a large percentage of female undergraduates have experienced sexual assault since they started at USC. In response, the University will hold open forums to discuss sexual misconduct.
    • The 411: USC had one of the highest percentage of sexual assaults of the schools that participated in the survey. Looks like there’s still some work to be done on campus.

Campus Leaders

• Let’s Get More Uncomfortable: On Sunday, Undergraduate Student Government president Rini Sampath recounted a story on Facebook in which a male student yelled racial slurs and threw a drink at her as she walked past his fraternity house. Her post went viral, garnering over 10,000 likes. Multiple news outlets, including the Daily Trojan, weighed in on the issue of racism at USC. The University released a statement Tuesday urging students to report hate crimes when they see them happen.
    • The 411: The incident reignited questions of race relations on the USC campus and colleges around the country. Don’t expect this issue to go away anytime soon.

College Life

• Sweet Treats: Did you know there’s a farmers market every Wednesday in McCarthy Quad? Here are 3 vendors that can satisfy your sweet tooth.
    • The 411: Honey, honey, how you thrill me!
  • Brain Remedies: Feeling a little homesick? Midterms and projects got you feeling down? Here are 6 tips to help you destress and enjoy your college experience.
    • The 411: Because you had a bad day, you’re taking one down, you sing a sad song just to turn it around!

Student Voices

• Issue: Should U.S. colleges drop the SAT and ACT as a requirement for admissions?
    • Point: “Given that studies show that the ability of standardized tests to accurately predict academic performance while in college is murky at best and discriminatory at worst, USC should reaffirm its commitment to diversity by leading the test-optional policy movement among top-tier schools and finally dropping its standardized test requirement for admissions.” – Sonali Seth, DT Editorial Director
    • Counterpoint: “Frankly, admissions are not done by robots. It’s also not the Hunger Games, where the odds are not always in your favor. The admissions process is headed by subjective officers. Standardized testing offers the most objective insight into many components of a student’s eventual performance at school.” – Danni Wang, DT Lifestyle Editor
    • The 411: To take the test or not take the test? That is the question.

Sports

• Time To Reevaluate: Well, obviously, last weekend’s loss in the Coliseum was not what many expected. But it did show the Trojans what they need to work on as they head to Arizona State this weekend.
    • The 411: Come on, guys. It’s not how you start — it’s how you finish!

Pop Culture

• Emmys 2015: Andy Samberg hosted the 67th Emmy Awards on Sunday. Viola Davis made history as the first African-American woman to win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. Jon Hamm finally received a much deserved Emmy for Mad Men. And Tracy Morgan returned with some of the best jokes of the night. #MissionAccomplished
    • The 411: Racial and gender diversity won the evening, but Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer may have been a close second.
  • Fall TV Lineup: This week, some of our favorite shows returned to our TV and computer screens. Here are 10 new and returning shows you need to watch this fall.
    • The 411: So many shows, so little time. Time to go binge-watch everything in Andy Samberg’s bunker!

Eli Goodstein is a junior majoring in broadcast and digital journalism. His column, “Eli’s DT 4-1-1” runs every Friday.