Standardized tests are crucial for objectivity in admissions

With Cornell College’s effort to abolish the submission of SATs and ACTs, it became one of the many universities to take a test-optional approach to college applications. Though Cornell College allows students to present themselves in the best light possible in order to gain admission, standardized tests allow for the most objectivity in a diverse applicant pool.

Many arguments have been made in regard to the skewed structure of standardized tests. According to psychologist Gerald Bracey, standardized tests only measure a small portion of what is relevant in life. Bracey said that other factors pertinent to success — including curiosity, enthusiasm and leadership ability — are not measured by standardized tests. Another allegation against standardized testing is its inherent discrimination against non-English speakers, students with special abilities and people of other minorities. This is due to the lack of accommodations for these students. These cases do present themselves as worthy dissent against the traditional admissions process, but statistics, such as grade point average and test scores, level the playing field between all students applying.

In his blog post on The Huffington Post, Brand contends that grade point average and course load difficulty contribute to indicators for motivation in a potential student. However, based on the diverse demographic across the nation, every high school is different. Every high school runs on different grading systems, class components, studying opportunities and environments. The only equalizing agent among the vast number of high school students coming from these settings is taking the standardized test.

Though it is appealing to be able to paint oneself in the best way possible for a dream school, it would simply be an unjust system. Frankly, admissions are not done by robots. It’s also not the Hunger Games, where the odds are not always in your favor. The admissions process is headed by subjective officers. Standardized testing offers the most objective insight into many components of a student’s eventual performance at school.

Brand fails to acknowledge the rudimentary skills test-takers can learn from the SAT or ACT. For example, as with most cases of standardized testing, there is a limited time frame to answer all questions. Students are trained to improve their time management skills. Additionally, standardized testing does, in actuality, allow for students to grow holistically because it is impossible to teach top-secret, mandated testing material. Teachers can allocate their focus for teaching other, more edifying topics in school for more dimensional students.

Perhaps the most important factor of standardized testing is the mentality it fosters. Almost based entirely on test-score reporting, the Chinese education system, according to the Program for International Student Assessment rankings, outranked Finland in 2009 in reading, science and math test scores. With China placing number one in the entire world, it is evident that an environment in which there is a larger emphasis on scoring well on tests allows for a better background in achievement.

Whether Cornell College’s new system will work or not is uncertain, but USC should definitely not adopt these new policies. Because there is a large, diverse population of students at the University, some of whom are from a Chinese background where standardized testing will stay firmly engrained in society, standardized testing will equalize all backgrounds and allow for introspection into a myriad of different traits a successful student must possess.

Danni Wang is a junior majoring in psychology. She is also the lifestyle editor of the Daily Trojan. “Point/Counterpoint” runs Mondays.