Read-iscover reading: My top three picks

Christina Nursalim | Daily Trojan

Christina Nursalim | Daily Trojan

When was the last time you actually read something for pleasure? Many of you might have forgotten the pleasure of reading because you’ve been too caught up reading assigned books for school (or maybe just reading Buzzfeed articles or watching Netflix and Youtube). However, I find comfort in the covers of a well-worn book and I want to help you rediscover the pleasure of reading. I urge you to peruse the pages of a couple of books at your nearest bookstore and pick up one that catches your eye. Or if you don’t have the time to search for a good book, here are some of my suggestions that will make for the perfect companion during a lazy Sunday with a cup of tea.

1. We Were Liars
We Were Liars is one of the best books I’ve read this year. Written by National Book Award finalist E. Lockhart, We Were Liars was also voted as the Goodreads Choice 2014 winner. We Were Liars is relatively thin so you can definitely rip through it (I know I did) in about a day. It is easy to read and is filled with suspense — a true page-turner. The novel is about an 18-year-old girl who suffers from crippling migraines and memory loss ever since an accident that she can no longer remember. The book vividly portrays her poignant journey as she tries to recollect her lost memories, and tries to find out the truth behind her accident. I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to give out any spoilers. So, just like the book review says, “Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just lie.”

2. S
If you’re into mysteries and interactive reading, S. is definitely the book for you. S. is a novel written by Doug Dorst. The story plot was conceived by J.J. Abrams, director of Star Trek and many other award-winning films such Mission Impossible and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The book has a very interesting concept that makes it a story within a story. The book itself is produced to look like a library book with the title “Ship of Theseus.” Within the book, there are notes in the margins written by two students passing the book back and forth between them and exchanging their thoughts and ideas. They seek to uncover the elusive identity of V. M. Straka, the fictional author of the “Ship of Theseus,” as well as to unravel the mysteries of the novel, which is about a man who has no memories and is shanghaied onto a boat with an eccentric and creepy crew (the sailors lips are sewn together).

The book also has a lot of supplemental materials slipped in between its pages, such as napkins with drawings on it, newspaper clippings, postcards, a decoder and more. It makes it seem as if the students have put these materials in the book as they were discussing it with each other. One challenge I had while reading the book is that it is a little time consuming and difficult to read just because there are so many things going on. However, it’s definitely an interesting and interactive concept that is enjoyable to read. If you like mysteries or if you want to try your hand with a new reading experience, I’d definitely recommend it.

3. Crazy Rich Asians
Written by Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians is a fun, light read filled with satirical humor and packed with drama. A fictional expose into the lives of —quite literally — crazy rich Asians, this novel is sure to leave you in equal parts of laughter and horror at the ludicrous things these characters will do to protect their own social status.

The fictional story is about Nicholas Young, Asia’s most eligible bachelor, and his girlfriend, plain-Jane Rachel Chu. Nicholas brings Rachel back to Singapore to attend his best friend’s wedding, which turns out to be the biggest wedding in all of Asia. Rachel meets Nicholas’ family, who disapproves of her because she is not on their level in terms of wealth. Crazy Rich Asians gives readers an inside look beyond the veneer of the picturesque lives these characters try to portray to the public, allowing readers to see the dysfunction in these “crazy rich” families. Though the book centers on the loaded topic of dysfunctional families, Kevin Kwan cleverly writes his novel with humorous honesty that keeps the novel fresh and exciting. The novel gives a whole new perspective on dysfunctional families and shows that even the most seemingly perfect family has its secrets.

So, the next time you have some free time to unwind and de-stress from midterm season, don’t just rely on Netflix. Pick up a book, brew your favorite cup of tea, curl up in your favorite couch and immerse yourself back into the long-lost pastime of reading. Let your mind escape into the lives of different people and into different worlds for a little magical while.