Melbourne offers many parks to escape from busy city life

As I write this, it’s Sunday morning — homework day — and the temperature has finally hit 76 degrees. Spring has, at last, reached Australia. Outside, the weather is not only bearable, but even enjoyable. Studying cooped up in the library is unjustifiable. When the weather is this nice, a tree becomes the perfect arm chair and sounds of the city blend to become white noise. The park is where I can be found on this day.

For me, escaping to the park is necessary for city survival. Luckily, Melbourne adheres enthusiastically to this standard of living, as there is certainly no shortage of green space in the city. With more than 1,200 acres of open space, green space comprises 15 percent of the city. Parks are a staple in successful urban planning as they provide the opportunity to relax as well as connect people throughout the city.

Melbourne parks are at the very center of the city’s layout — they frame public transportation and commerce locations. In fact, at any point in Melbourne, a park is almost always within walking distance. Though the amount of people visiting the spaces varies in accordance to the weather, for many going to the park remains an integral part of the day. During lunch hours specifically, free benches are virtually impossible to come by, as people flock to the nearest park for a bite.

What is particularly appealing about the green spaces in Melbourne is their upkeep. There is an unspoken level of respect for every patch of grass, as the land remains free from waste. Rather than trash, the grass is littered with different groups of people picnicking, reading, napping and just enjoying the green. Even those with dogs are extremely mindful of cleaning up after them.

The cleanliness of these parks indicates the mindset of personal responsibility in the use of government-operated spaces. There’s an unprecedented amount of respect for these parks, evident through both government mandates and community efforts. Melbourne’s affinity for parks encourages the eco-friendly behavior to maintain the environment to the highest standard.

To me, green spaces provide a sigh of relief. I have taken advantage of my time with the greenery during the months I have lived here. Though my favorite parks are the Botanical Gardens and Albert Park, I often frequent Flagstaff Gardens due to its proximity. Because jogging on the streets in Melbourne is socially unacceptable, the park is excellent for morning runs and a great spot for studying after classes.

The first week I arrived in Melbourne, I ventured to Flagstaff, bundled in sweaters, and laid down in the grass. I looked at the high rises and back to the streets with cars humming on the side of the road. The city was not still, but in that moment it felt like I was away from it all. There’s the same effect on the lawns at the University of Melbourne — I use my breaks as opportunities to sprawl out and enjoy the rare sunshine.

The parks each incorporate distinguishing features. Albert Park rests around a large lake that reflects a breathtaking view of the city. Its size is ideal for a long walk, one that friends and I have taken over the weekend as a means to get our blood flowing. The last time I was there, I saw several swans waddling around, similarly enjoying the thick green grass.

What I find incredible about the green spaces in Melbourne is the stark contrast with other city elements. With the trams, buskers playing music in the street, wild street art and all the vital elements of city life, there’s a sense of what exists in pockets of the city. The coexistence between nature and city life reflects the diversity in Melbourne, one integral to the very spirit of the city.

Nika Shahery is a junior majoring in international relations and policy, planning and development. Her column, “Aussie Adventure,”
runs Thursdays.