California initiative advocates for adult film stars to wear condoms in films

Last month, officials introduced a new California initiative for the November 2016 ballot that would require actors in pornography to wear condoms during sex scenes.

The use of condoms in pornography will entail the promotion of safe and consensual sex, in addition to providing a more realistic perspective on sexual intercourse. Implementing something as simple as condom use will mean a more realistic portrayal of intercourse while ensuring actors of their safety.

This new incentive proposed by Michael Weinstein, president of Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation, currently has a 71 percent statewide support. Weinstein explained that he is “very confident that we will be successful on election day.”

If passed, the measure will necessitate all performers in adult films to use condoms during sexual intercourse while filming, in addition to requiring producers to pay for actors’ vaccinations, testing and medical examinations linked to sexually transmitted infections. Those who violate the bill will be fined up to $70,000. Not only will this be a win for Weinstein and the state of California, but it will also be a liberating step forward for those currently in the adult film industry.

Currently, performers are accountable for their own testing and must pay out of their own pockets. While they are required to get tested, this does not mean actors are safe from STDs. Cameron Adams, a former porn actress who became HIV positive while in the industry in 2013, explained at the “Safer Sex” Act Press conference in September that “testing doesn’t prevent infections.”

Sofia Delgado, a past performer who also became HIV positive in 2013, also mentioned at the conference that “condoms are the best protection for performers, but producers refuse to provide them.”

Producers of adult films do give actors the choice in deciding whether or not they would like to use a condom; however, producers display an oppressive nature towards actors by manipulating or pressuring them into not using condoms.

In an interview facilitated by AntiPornography.org, a nonprofit organization, ex-porn performer Marianna Luft, formerly known as “Neesa” in the industry, explained that actors would generally be treated better if they choose not to use a condom. Those in favor of using a condom would typically be viewed by producers as not as valuable, especially to the company running the production.

In Luft’s 10-year experience as a performer, STDs were very prevalent, just as they are today. And though she was tested every 30 days, that didn’t keep her safe, as she contracted many infections anyway.

While the initiative reaps obvious benefits, the porn industry plans to rally in opposition of it, “arguing that there are already testing programs for HIV,” said Diane Duke, chief executive of the Free Speech Coalition. Though true, with HIV testing happening regularly — every 14 days — the measure will come “after nearly two dozen adult performers became HIV-infected while working in the industry between 2004 and 2014.”

What Duke fails to recognize is the fact that the use of condoms will promote safe and consensual sex, as well as a realistic view on sexual intercourse.

Also in an interview facilitated by AntiPornography.org, Ashley L., a current performer who wishes to remain anonymous when supporting condoms in porn to avoid any ostracizing, harassment, and potential loss of work, says that condoms would implement a significant change to the industry. There is an “increasing trend of STDs rising in places where there’s more consumers [of porn],” including exposure to HIV.

Ashley believes that by normalizing the use of condoms in the industry, people outside of porn will emulate the act of safe and consensual sex while preventing STDs on an international scale.

“What we do in porn tends to be what people try to emulate,” she said. If consumers are exposed to consistent use of condoms, they will definitely set a standard in terms of safer and consensual sex.

The use of condoms in the industry will give consumers realistic expectations. This small but significant change means that many people partaking in sexual intercourse within the industry won’t be getting sick anymore. In addition, Ashley explained that using condoms in adult films would help reduce the stigma outside of pornography.

Ultimately, this issue remains relevant in today’s society and culture. Focusing on the use of condoms will only prompt a positive change in the way sex is portrayed and seen, and will advocate for a proactive mindset towards sexual protection.