Runway hits the streets: Keep with up Kendall + Kylie

Photo courtesy of Instagram, Kendall and Kylie

Photo courtesy of @kendallandkylie

As fashion week begins — in New York, Milan, Paris and London — innovative designs are being displayed, and soon hitting the streets to be replicated.

Without having to closely follow each designer’s next move, we, as college students, are still aware of the most current, ubiquitous fashion trends. We live in a competitive fashion environment — sans the collegiate backwards cap and decorated sorority pullover. However, unless you have unlimited funds, attempting to emulate famous designs is next to impossible. The costs, along with the challenging “imitation” game we all undeniably participate in, explain our difficulties when we get to the checkout line.

We weigh the pros and cons: a critical moment for frequent shoppers who have to refrain from purchasing “questionably useless” items. No offense to Kanye, but when we accept his exuberant tennis shoe prices, we only feed into the problem. Therefore, in working within a budget, we need to adopt better methods to more frequently find affordable items. Finding these items requires looking at not only the obvious locations — H&M, TopShop, Zara, Forever 21— but also other stores, online websites and mobile apps. Here are some frequently used fashion companies that have perfected the ‘affordable runway’ mentality: Lord and Taylor, Light in the Box, Echo Design, ModCloth, Oasis and other brands, Lulu and, most importantly, Rent The Runway.

With more newly designed and personalized iPhone and Android apps, these stores are not the only avenues to explore. Designers, celebrities, performers, fashion gurus and politicians share their fashion favorites through the click of a few buttons. For example, the Kardashians have unquestionably capitalized on their countless connections in the fashion world in order to brand themselves as models, designers and, most importantly, promoters. On their apps — Kylie, Kendall — you will receive fashion and beauty advice, as well as where to buy the affordable versions of their clothing. Without encouraging Kardashian clones, I will say these apps allow for their fan-base to at least attempt to recreate la mode de Kardashian-Jenner. As you sift through their lavish lifestyles, remaining realistic can be challenging.

As prices only increase, you must know what you can afford, and then discover avenues to fulfill your inner fashion guru. The extremely expensive world of fashion is not going to get cheaper; therefore, it is your responsibility to locate the items you desire at a “reasonable” price.

Photo courtesy of InStyle

Photo courtesy of InStyle