Women’s tennis can’t get going in loss to No. 1 Cal

The No. 11 USC women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No.1 California in the first match in the new Marks Stadium.

“It was definitely a tough loss for us today,” senior Giuliana Olmos said. “I think we were closer than it looks. It’s just been a little bit bumpy for the team right now.”

On Court 1, No.11 Olmos and sophomore Gabby Smith upset Cal juniors No. 2 Maegan Manasse and Denise Starr 6-4. 

“[Olmos] and I played really well in doubles,” Smith said. “We lost to Maegan and Denise in the fall at national indoors, and they played really well. But this time we just came out really strong and we finished them off.” 

On Court 3, freshman Rianna Valdes and sophomore Madison Westby were able to even the score at 5-5 after being down 5-2, but ultimately fell 7-5 to senior Lynn Chi and junior Stephane Lin of Cal.

In the meanwhile on Court 2, freshman Jessica Failla and junior Zoë Katz, after taking an early 4-1 with two breaks, were reached senior Klara Fabikova and freshman Olivia Hauger, bringing the match and the doubles point to the tie-break. There, the Cal duo was able to finish off the match with a 7-3 win, giving the Bears the doubles point.

The same tune went on in singles. On Court 6, Cal sophomore Karla Popovic stormed through Katz 6-1, 6-3, while on Court 2, No. 5 Fabikova pulled out a double 6-2 over Westby. A little hope for a comeback came from Court 1, where No. 38 Olmos was able to upset No. 13 Manasse in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.

Shortly after on Court 5, No. 102 Hauger was able to clinch the match, after a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 90 Valdes. As the rest of the matches went on, Chi defeated No. 87 Smith in the third set match tie-break and Failla lost 6-7(3), 4-6 to Starr, after being down 0-4 in the second set.

“They’re the No. 1 team in the country, so when you have a chance to win the doubles and you don’t get it, it’s frustrating, but I felt that we played some good singles matches,” head coach Richard Gallien said. “We need all the oars in the water, and today we only had some of the oars in the water. I’m super positive and I think by the end of the year we’ll be a really good team, but losses are painful.” 

Next up for the Women of Troy is a match against crosstown rival UCLA, whom they will face Thursday.

“I am definitely looking forward to UCLA,” Olmos said “It’s always fun playing against them, we just need to get going again and get excited.”

Smith pointed out a good start would be beneficial to pulling off the victory.

“I think the key for us is to start off strong again in doubles,” Smith said. “Our whole team can do better in doubles. In singles,  competing well, really fighting hard and playing smart because we can win that match.” 

For Gallien, his team has not quite reached its satisfactory point.

“There has to be some belief,” Gallien said. “I think this team hasn’t had that one win yet where everybody says, ‘Ok, we get it, we’re good.’ That win is still out there and maybe Thursday is the day.” 

First serve is at 1:30 p.m. in Westwood.