FYF Fest provides eclectic lineup and huge headliners

In the past couple years, Exposition Park has become somewhat of a music festival hotspot, hosting big name events such as Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival and Air + Style. Its most popular event, FYF Fest, now in its 13th year, draws crowds dedicated to all genres from music, a step away from the music festival’s original focus on punk and alternative music. This year’s lineup features impressive names and promises attendees even more spectacular performances from some of the industry’s best artists across the board.

In March, the music festival announced the artists set to take its five stages. A two-day event taking place on Aug. 27 and 28, the festival’s first day includes esteemed performers such as synth pop singer Grimes, electronic band Hot Chip and indie rock band Peter Bjorn and John. But as with any other music festival, FYF presents opportunities to discover relatively unknown acts. This year, Australian rock band Jagwar Ma and singer Alex G join other music veterans at FYF.

These stalwarts of the stage and day one’s main attractions consist of rapper Kendrick Lamar and psychedelic rock band Tame Impala. Lamar would create an excellent show with 2015’s To Pimp a Butterfly and its quiet antithesis, this year’s untitled unmastered. Undoubtedly, Tame Impala also guarantees an amazing performance, weaving the audience from “Elephant,” the song that put them on everyone’s radar, to “The Less I Know the Better,” their latest single from Currents.

The caliber of performances continues onto day two, where dream pop band Beach House, a must-see after last year’s Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars, and folk rock singer Father John Misty take the stage. They are accompanied by indie rock singer Mac DeMarco, indie rock band Wild Nothing and hip-hop collaboration Banks & Steelz, among others.

Headlining rock band LCD Soundsystem and singer Grace Jones will showcase their beloved hits and potentially give teasers to their new projects. Jones, an R&B icon known for “I’ve Seen That Face Before” and “Walking In The Rain,” has steadily been working on her new album for years now, though its development has been kept under wraps. LCD Soundsystem, who reunited in 2015 after disbanding for four years, is set to release their fourth album later this year, to follow 2010’s triumphant This Is Happening.

However, anyone who has attended FYF in the past will attest to the fact that the music festival is more than just about the music. Colorful installations and sculptures usually line the park, making FYF visually engaging as well as musically. Food vendors at FYF should also excite — last year’s night market, featuring some of the festival’s favorite restaurants in Los Angeles, remained open for attendees until 1 a.m.

FYF Fest may be far from the prestige held by Coachella Music Festival or Lollapalooza. But with the esteemed reputation of its musical acts and overall arrangement, it should not disappoint.

General Admission Weekend passes are on sale now for $219. More information, including a full line-up, can be found online at fyffest.com.