Former USC head coach Steve Sarkisian hired by Alabama as offensive analyst

Former USC head football coach Steve Sarkisian is joining Alabama’s coaching staff as an offensive analyst, Alabama coach Nick Saban confirmed on Monday.

Sarkisian was infamously fired at USC weeks into the 2015 season following a series of alcohol-related issues that began with a rant at the annual Salute to Troy event, where he appeared to be intoxicated. Then-Athletic Director Pat Haden gave him the axe in October after he showed up to a practice in poor condition.

The 42-year-old was slated to join Fox Sports as a television analyst this season, but instead will take a job with the Crimson Tide.

“We’re glad to have him as part of the organization,” Saban said to the media. “Hopefully he’ll be able to get back on his feet professionally and this will be beneficial to him.”

Sarkisian will work with Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, who was also fired from USC in less-then-amicable fashion. Both Sarkisian and Kiffin also coached under Pete Carroll with the Trojans.

Due to NCAA rules on staff size, Sarkisian will not be able to coach players on the field. He is the fifth former head coach to join Alabama’s coaching staff.

Saban said that he and Sarkisian had discussed the role “quite a while ago.”

“He’s going through some personal things himself to get himself in a very positive position and wants to continue to do those things in the future and professionally,” Saban said. “He loves coaching. I’ve known him for a long time and he’s a very, very good coach.”

Saban added that Sarkisian is aware of ramifications should concerns flare up again.

“I think he understands the consequences that he deals with professionally if he has any issues or problems,” Saban said.

Sarkisian is still in the midst of a legal battle with USC. He filed a wrongful terminal lawsuit against the University last December, claiming the school should have allowed him to seek treatment for alcoholism rather than dismissing him. The case is headed for arbitration; Sarkisian is seeking the $12.6 million remaining on his contract in addition to unspecified damages.