Zombie run entertains students on Halloween weekend

Photo courtesy of Maya Elbaz The running dead · Lanny Ngo, the co-assistant director of the Special Events Committee, had her face painted by student volunteers to look like a zombie for Saturday’s event, which she helped organize.

Photo courtesy of Maya Elbaz
The running dead · Lanny Ngo, the co-assistant director of the Special Events Committee, had her face painted by student volunteers to look like a zombie for Saturday’s event, which she helped organize.

Human “runners” shrieked as zombies staggered their way across McCarthy Quad Saturday night, growling menacingly. This was not an episode of The Walking Dead, but the 2016 Zombie Run, co-hosted over Halloween weekend by the USC Special Events Committee, the SC Triathlon team and USC Trojan Pride.

Approximately 200 people met and donned green glowstick bracelets and flag football belts. They were ready to run 2.5 kilometers, all while being chased by student volunteers dressed as zombies who were out for blood. 

Alice Mao, the assistant director of the Special Events Committee, said that the event included perks such as raffling off four tickets to Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights and providing free Clif Bars to attendees.

“This was one of the events that had a lot of success last year, so we decided to put it on again this year,” Mao said. “A huge part of the work was doing the marketing, so we had to make a lot of Facebook events, get promo items like cool stickers and free stuff.”

Heather Lemaster, a senior majoring in biological sciences and global medicine, decided to take part in the event as a runner. Lemaster was excited at the prospect of a zombie run conveniently located right on campus. 

“I love running and I love Halloween, so this seemed like the perfect event,” Lemaster said. “I’ve done runs before, but I’ve never gotten the chance to do any of the national zombie runs, so this was a chance for me to participate in one.”

Natalie Reyes, a senior majoring in law, history and culture and sociology, said before the event that she was excited to have the chance to reenact a scene straight out of one of her favorite TV shows.

“I’m a big fan of The Walking Dead,” Reyes said. “I’m probably going to be scared out of my mind.”

Jun Pyo Lee, a junior majoring in communication, participated as a runner last year and volunteered to be a zombie this year. Sporting a pale face and red mouth, Lee expressed gratitude for the makeup artists who took this opportunity to show off their skills. 

“The students taking makeup classes at USC volunteered to help us out, which was really nice of them,” Lee said. “I came here three hours before the event started and just sat, and they did it all for me.”

Lanny Ngo, the co-assistant director of the Special Events Committee, was also made up as a zombie. She said she was happy to get students moving while bringing some Halloween spirit to USC.

“It’s really fun to do something for Halloween, because we don’t really have another event for the holiday, so this is a way that we can incorporate a lot of the student body so they can have a good time,” Ngo said. “Also people who don’t usually run might get motivated to if they’re being chased.”