Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein announced a $5 million scholarship foundation for female directors at USC in a statement released Thursday. The statement was made in response to a New York Times investigation detailing accusations of sexual harassment against him, spanning several decades.
Weinstein was involved in numerous sexual harassment claims throughout his career as a major producer, including at least eight settlements and accusations from film stars like Ashley Judd and Emily Nestor, according to the Times report.
“I realized some time ago that I needed to be a better person and my interactions with the people I work with have changed,” Weinstein said in his statement. “I appreciate the way I’ve worked with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it.”
Weinstein also said the scholarship foundation wasn’t a response to The Times’ findings, but had been in the works for a year. The scholarship will be named after his mother, Miriam Weinstein, who died in November 2016.
The School of Cinematic Arts confirmed that Weinstein had pledged the $5 million endowment in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
“[We] began discussions with Mr. Weinstein over a year ago to fund a $5 million endowment in his mother’s honor dedicated to scholarships for women filmmakers, particularly those from minority communities,” USC’s statement read.
USC declined to respond when asked if the school would accept the donation and continue its relationship with Weinstein, The Hollywood Reporter said.