USC rejects gift from Harvey Weinstein

Daily Trojan file photo

USC will not accept Harvey Weinstein’s $5 million pledge to the School of Cinematic Arts, according to a statement issued by the University on Tuesday.

“In light of the admitted behavior by Mr. Weinstein and the subsequent reports there is no way the school would move forward,” SCA spokeswoman Kristin Borella told NBC4 on Tuesday. “This was a pledge and no funding had begun.”

Last Thursday, The New York Times published a report revealing decades of sexual harassment allegations against the film executive, detailing various monetary negotiations with his alleged  victims.

Weinstein was consequently fired from The Weinstein Company on Sunday, after board members cited his violations of the company’s code of conduct, The Times reported.

Following the report, Weinstein published a public statement expressing regret for his actions and announced a $5 million pledge for a foundation to support female filmmakers at SCA. USC later confirmed that the University had been in talks with Weinstein about his foundation for a year.

The University did not immediately decline Weinstein’s pledge following the statements.

Weinstein also previously had ties with USC. In February 2015, Weinstein visited the School of Cinematic Arts as a speaker to discuss his career in the film industry.

1. BoredHousewife
    BoredHousewife says:

“Following the report, Weinstein published a public statement expressing regret for his actions and announced a $5 million pledge for a foundation to support female filmmakers at SCA.”

Please take the money. Just don’t name a building after him.

2. Lunderful
    Lunderful says:

Just take the dough, but with no strings attached. USC, like so many upper tier schools, is all about money, stature and influence.