The Trojans squeak out a win in Boulder 

Despite the Trojans’ lead dissipating, they held on for the one-possession win.

By DANA HAMMERSTROM
Redshirt junior running back MarShawn Lloyd had 84 rushing yards and a touchdown on the day. (Bryce Dechert/ Daily Trojan)

Look back at our live coverage.

Screams echoed through Folsom Field in Boulder, Colorado Saturday morning, but despite the Buffalo’s ever-present fan base, the Trojans were victorious. In a high-stakes, high-scoring and high-altitude contest, USC beat Colorado 48-41. 

Historically, the Trojans were 16-0 against the Buffaloes. However, this game proved to be a challenge even before kickoff with the legendary Head Coach Deion “Prime Time” Sanders bringing the heat and the hype for Boulder fans. 54,032 fans filed into Folsom to watch USC once again be unsuspectingly kept on their toes this season. 

USC earned an early lead with a 27-yard rushing touchdown from redshirt junior running back MarShawn Lloyd. The Trojans shut out the Buffaloes in the first quarter, as redshirt senior wide receiver Tahj Washington scored a 71-yard touchdown before the quarter wrapped up. 

After a third score courtesy of the Trojans’ junior wide receiver Dorian Singer, the Buffaloes shook off their slow start in quarter two. Less than two minutes later, Colorado was on the board with a 30-yard pass from junior quarterback Shedeur Sanders to junior wide receiver Jimmy Horn Jr. for the touchdown. 

The Trojans led the Buffaloes 34-14 with junior quarterback Caleb Williams totaling 260 passing yards at the half and four touchdowns. Bookending touchdowns in the second and third quarters by senior wide receiver Brenden Rice earned the Trojans a buffer. 

It’s fire season in Colorado — the Buffs brought the heat in the third quarter. Back-and-forth touchdowns in the third quarter brought the score higher for both USC and Colorado. After a touchdown by junior tight end Michael Harrison with 1:03 left in the third quarter, Colorado immediately followed by forcing Wiliams’ first interception of the season at their 39-yard line. 

The pressure was on in the fourth quarter for the Buffs, but it might be why they say pressure makes diamonds. An incomplete pass with 10:42 left in the game shook the Trojans’ offense, and another incomplete pass right over the endzone from Williams to Rice solidified USC’s struggle to stay in the lead. 

Colorado held the Trojans without a point in the fourth quarter, aided in part by redshirt sophomore placekicker Denis Lynch missing a 38-yard field goal. 

Despite allowing a touchdown on Boulder’s final drive, USC managed to hold on to their early lead and come out on top by recovering the onside kick.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.