USC celebrates Native American Heritage Month

Native American faculty, students and others spoke on education and support.

By ZACHARY WHALEN
Student leaders from the Native American Student Assembly spoke at the event about expanding student resources and representation. (NASA EBoard)

Students crowded in the Trojan Family Room in Tutor Campus Center on Wednesday, excited to celebrate Native American Heritage Month. Many wore traditional jewelry and clothing or took one of the commemorative shirts handed out by event staff, and the atmosphere was lively as the stage was prepared for the opening performers.

The event featured Native American performers, student speakers from the Native American Student Assembly, a panel discussion on the importance of Native American History Month and a presentation from the women’s lacrosse team on the origins of lacrosse as a Native American sport. 

Native American Heritage Month is celebrated throughout the month of November. Monday’s event marked the University’s inaugural celebration for the month. 

Members of the Cahuilla tribe Derek, Dominic and Andrew Duro performed bird songs for the audience. Bird songs are a traditional form of Cahuilla music and consist of rhythmic singing accompanied by gourd rattles. Derek Duro explained to the audience that he and his siblings were taught these songs by their uncle, and that each one told a story of the Cahuilla people.

“These songs are the songs of our people, everything from our creation story to our migrations to where we’re at today — and they’re social songs,” Derek Duro said. “At any time during the songs, if you’d like to come up and join my dancer, you’re more than welcome.”

Dineh Barragan, a freshman majoring in environmental studies, provided the land acknowledgment for the event and spoke on the importance of uplifting and supporting Native American students at USC, as well as the accomplishments of Native students on campus.

“Despite being less than 1% of USC’s student body… [Native students] are doctors, lawyers, educators, engineers and changemakers of Indian country,” Barragan said. “Some of us are the first in our families to achieve higher education, and even the first in our tribe, like myself.”

The event featured a panel of Native American students, faculty and community members. Panelists discussed their emotions around the first Native American Heritage Month celebration and how non-Native students can support Native students on campus. 

Hydi Ybarra, a graduate at Keck School of Medicine, emphasized the importance of non-Native students learning about Native American history and the problems Native Americans face today.

“Education is key. Don’t just run to that one Native friend you have for advice or recommendations, also do research for yourself,” Ybarra said. “[Look] into current events that are going on, whether that’s positive or negative, and [educate] yourself on those.”

At the event, President Carol Folt discussed Dr. Joseph Medicine Crow, who the Center for Public and International Affairs is named for, and his history with the university. She said Dr. Crow was a historian who received his master’s in anthropology before leaving the University to fight in World War II. After the war, he received an honorary doctorate from USC in anthropology. 

Folt celebrated the increase in Native American students enrolled at USC and the increase in students participating in NASA and said she was pleased that programs such as the Native Leadership Scholarship were bringing more Native American students to campus.

“In fall of 2019, there were 458 undergraduate and 356 graduate students who identified as indigenous Native American and Pacifica. We made a pledge, along with building up the Dr. Joseph Medicine Crow building, to increase [those numbers],” Folt said. “In Fall 2023, we have 550 undergraduate and 375 graduate students, so the numbers are increasing and we’re excited.”

Lindsey Munday, head coach of the USC women’s lacrosse team, spoke at the event to acknowledge the history of lacrosse as a traditional Native American sport. Assistant Coach Asa Goldstock spoke on the barriers that prevent Native American athletes from competing in the Olympics: although lacrosse will be featured as an Olympic sport in 2028, the Olympics only allows athletes to compete for recognized nations, leaving out Native American athletes who wish to compete for their tribe.

Co-leaders of NASA Daniel Williams — a junior majoring in non-governmental organizations and social change — and Nizhoni McDonough — a junior majoring in law, history and culture — said that NASA was home to students from over a dozen different tribes across the United States, as well as their commitment to increasing representation and available resources for Native American students on campus.

“[Students], remember that this campus always has been and always will be yours,” said McDonough. “Your ancestors are proud of you, and we hope today serves as a reminder that you deserve to be celebrated.”