Curren Price pleads not guilty to corruption charges

The L.A. city councilmember was arraigned Monday on charges of embezzlement, perjury and conflict of interest.

By NATHAN ELIAS
Price stands accused of engaging in a pay-to-play scheme and embezzled funds from the city. (Luke Harold)

Los Angeles Council District 9 Councilmember Curren Price pleaded not guilty to embezzlement, perjury and conflict of interest charges during an arraignment Monday in relation to a June 2023 lawsuit alleging that he engaged in a pay-to-play scheme and embezzled funds from the city.

Prosecutors allege that developers paid more than $150,000 to the consulting agency of his wife, Del Richardson, before he voted for projects which benefited the developers — which he did not disclose. Price, who represents USC and portions of Exposition Park and South Central in City Council, is also accused of using city funds to pay around $33,800 in medical coverage for Richardson while he was still married to his first wife.

In a document filed before the arraignment, Price’s attorneys requested to have the case dismissed, arguing the conflict-of-interest allegations did not amount to a crime, the embezzlement charges are barred by the statute of limitations and the perjury charges “do not constitute a public offense.”

Deputy District Attorney Casey Higgins rejected the request, writing that the defense’s argument was “meritless,” and that the prosecution began four years after the conclusion of his alleged crimes and were therefore not barred by the statute of limitations. 

“Our standard for filing any case is beyond a reasonable doubt, so we’re pretty confident in our charges,” Higgins told reporters after the arraignment. “That’s why we filed the charges that we did.”

Michael Schafler, one of Price’s attorneys, said he was “disappointed by the court’s decision,” but that it wasn’t a surprise.

“Having closely examined a substantial portion of the prosecution’s evidence, we are confident that they will be unable to meet their burden [to back up the charges],” Schafler told reporters after the arraignment. “[Price] maintains his innocence and continues to urge the residents of Council District 9 and the wider Los Angeles community to withhold judgment while the legal process unfolds.”

Price has represented Council District 9 since 2013, earning him a veteran status in City Council where he established a reputation for supporting low-wage workers. During his tenure, he advocated for a citywide $15 minimum wage and advocated for a pilot program that would provide money to families in need. His arraignment drew a crowd of supporters, including members from the Southern Christian Leadership Conference of Southern California and South Central United.

The arraignment comes just over four months after L.A. Council District 8 Councilmember Mark Ridley-Thomas was sentenced to three years and six months’ imprisonment for engaging in a bribery scheme exchanging admission to the Dworak-Peck School of Social Work and a part-time professor position for his son, among other benefits, for supporting contracts favorable to the School of Social Work.

Price is the fourth city councilmember to face corruption charges in recent memory, joining Ridley-Thomas; Jose Huizar, who pleaded guilty in January 2023 to racketeering conspiracy and tax evasion; and Mitchell Englander, who pleaded guilty in January 2021 to obstructing a public corruption investigation. The resignation of former City Council President Nury Martinez following a leaked racist audio recording including her and City Councilmember Kevin De León also roiled City Council, though no charges have been filed.

Price announced he would step down from his position as president pro tempore and from all his committee assignments in June after the charges emerged, though both he and City Council President Paul Krekorian stopped short of removing him from City Council, electing to wait until a guilty verdict.

Price will return to court March 1 to set a hearing assessing whether there is enough evidence for a trial.