Let’s ‘croc’ about it, Gen Z

Crocs’ comeback redefines fashion’s relationship with comfort and authenticity.

By EMILY PHALLY
(Megan Dang / Daily Trojan)

Much like Elle Woods’ pink heels in “Legally Blonde” (2001), my identity has been synonymous with my bold choice of footwear. While my peers typically opted for sneakers, my feet were always adorned with the unmistakable Crocs clog, which has served as my signature style since 2018. Their convenience on rushed school mornings and comfort after tiring after-school activities instantly made me obsessed. 

These days, it’s common to see Crocs in public everywhere you go, from grocery stores to runway shows and red carpets. The unexpected worlds of luxury fashion and the humble boating shoe first collided during designer Christopher Kane’s 2016 runway show, when his models strutted in marble-streaked Crocs clogs adorned with crystal rock charms.

Kane’s successful collaboration sparked a series of partnerships creating limited edition clogs. These have been wildly successful; the Lightning McQueen Clog and Bad Bunny’s personalized clogs sold out in 47 and 16 minutes, respectively. 

Most notably, the collaboration with Balenciaga birthed Crocs’ most extravagant clog yet, HardCrocs, originally priced at $950. The brand’s collaborations with esteemed designers and artists, as well as fun companies, solidified its position in the world of fashion, appealing to a diverse range of consumers.

No one would have expected that the Crocs clog had the potential to rival Christian Louboutin’s iconic red-bottom heels in price and social capital. Thanks to Generation Z, Crocs went from near bankruptcy to providing a closet staple.

Crocs’ clog is the embodiment of dominating fashion trends: prioritizing practicality and comfort and embracing individuality and authenticity. 

As society shifts away from the pressure of dressing to impress and embraces a more relaxed style, my Crocs have become another outlet for self-expression, especially in environments with restrictive dress codes. I always look forward to decorating my clog with Jibbitz that bring me immense joy whenever I glance at them. More than just a fashion statement, Crocs symbolize self-expression and defiance of conventional norms.

Gone are the days of sacrificing comfort and practicality for the sake of your appearance. With the prevalence of remote work and tech companies and startups adopting more relaxed business casual dress codes, individuals are reevaluating their traditional notions of presentability. This shift towards prioritizing comfort aligns with a broader movement promoting diversity, equity and inclusion that seeks to eliminate barriers to participation.

Crocs challenge the notion of beauty as subjective, swayed by ever-changing trends and the influence of a select few. In an industry in which luxury often overshadows comfort, Crocs emerge as a breath of fresh air, blurring the lines between commerce and art. Its appeal transcends mere digital marketing tactics or fleeting social media trends; it genuinely resonates with young consumers.

There’s an undeniable affection and loyalty for the shoe that remained true to its look despite facing harsh judgment and near extinction.

During tumultuous periods, such as the 2020 election and pandemic-induced social isolation, Crocs gave comfort and solace to all, resulting in record revenues of approximately $1.4 billion. Amid the chaos and uncertainty of recent years, the appeal of Crocs lies not only in their distinct look but also in their unparalleled comfort, offering a sense of ease and stability in a world filled with unpredictability.

My clogs have been with me through significant milestones, from high school prom and graduation, to my first day of college and solo adventures abroad. They provide reliability and comfort every step of the way in my journey. 

While some view them as a nostalgic reminder of carefree days, others see them as a canvas to showcase their personalities. The whimsical nature of Crocs promotes an embrace of unconventional fashion, similar to the magical auras of Dorothy Gale’s ruby slippers from “The Wizard of Oz” (1939) or Cinderella’s glass ones. The shoes serve as a gentle reminder not to take life too seriously.

By rooting for the underdog, we celebrate the evolution of the Crocs clog as the ugly duckling, rising to become an unconventional yet beloved symbol of footwear with individuality.