LETTER TO THE EDITOR

California offers support for disabled students

Government programs offer disabled students financial help with higher education.

By  SYDNEY GRAN

In the world of higher education, where every student faces their own unique set of challenges, a striking reality emerges: In the 2019-2020 academic year, 21% of undergraduates nationwide reported having a disability. 

There exists an opportunity in the pursuit of higher education for these disabled students that often goes unnoticed — the California Department of Rehabilitation. This state agency holds the key to financial support for disabled individuals aspiring to pursue higher education, offering assistance that can cover tuition and related expenses. 

However, a significant number of disabled students remain unaware of this invaluable resource in California. As a student with a disability, I find myself not only navigating the challenges of higher education but also grappling with the realization that a resource has been within reach, yet unknown.

The disconnect between these students and the resources provided by the DOR is a significant obstacle to their educational success. The state’s collection of colleges and universities should demonstrate inclusion, but the reality is far from it. 

Although the DOR is the nation’s largest provider of vocational and educational services for disabled individuals, the lack of information dissemination results in eligible students, who could benefit from these resources, remaining unaware of its existence. 

They are left to navigate higher education as disabled students without critical supportive programs. This not only hinders their academic progress but also creates a cycle of exclusion, limiting their access to opportunities and impeding the overall diversity and richness of the educational experience.

Addressing this issue involves actively engaging and partnering with not only disability specialists, but also college administrations. A comprehensive plan must be implemented to ensure that every student with a disability is made aware of the DOR and its services. 

Under a college or university’s centers for accessible education, disability counselors and specialists must provide information regarding vocational rehabilitation and supportive programs, ensuring that disabled students have access to the information and support in applying. 

It is imperative that these counselors ensure disabled students have access to information and support when applying to the DOR, recognizing the challenges students with disabilities face in navigating the application process.

To bridge the gap, disability specialists should consider integrating information about the DOR into orientation programs, collaborating with various student support offices and fostering outreach partnerships between the DOR and educational institutions. 

The California State University system stands out as a commendable example in prioritizing comprehensive information dissemination about the DOR and its disability services. By offering information regarding DOR and their services on their disability departmental websites, their students have the information needed to explore this possibility.

It is important to note that the DOR application itself is difficult for students with disabilities to navigate, and support and partnership between their campus disability specialist and their DOR counselor will address this. Disability specialists must play a pivotal role in guiding eligible students through the difficulties of accessing DOR services. 

Their support may include counseling on eligibility criteria, navigating the application processes and assisting with the necessary paperwork. Additionally, they provide valuable insights into the locations and operations of local DOR offices, streamlining the entire process for students seeking assistance.

The lack of outreach between the DOR and college disability specialists and campuses is a significant barrier to the success of students with disabilities. By prioritizing awareness campaigns, outreach opportunities and online resources on campuses, colleges and the DOR can ensure that an environment is created wherein every student has the opportunity to thrive and prosper in their educational settings. 

We can bridge the gap between deserving students and the support that awaits them, ensuring that education remains an equal and inclusive opportunity for each and every student.

Sydney Gran

Dworak-Peck School of Social Work

Class of 2025

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.