Bronny James enters NBA draft, transfer portal

The freshman guard averaged 4.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 19 minutes a game.

By LEILA MACKENZIE
Freshman guard Bronny James has foreseeably concluded his playing career in Cardinal and Gold. Although he is entering the 2024 NBA draft, Bronny will likely transfer to another NCAA team to play the 2024-25 season. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

Freshman guard Bronny James, the son of Lakers superstar LeBron James, announced on social media Friday morning that he will declare for the 2024 NBA draft. He will also enter the NCAA transfer portal while maintaining his NCAA eligibility. As James has not signed with an agent, he may withdraw both decisions and remain at USC for another season.

“I’ve had a year with some ups and downs but all added to growth for me as a man, student and athlete,” James wrote in an Instagram post.

James averaged 4.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists in his 25 games played, six of which he was a starter. 

“Thank you to USC for an amazing Freshman year, and as always thankful for my family, friends, doctors, athletic trainers and fans for their support,” he wrote.

Eric Musselman was formally introduced as USC men’s basketball’s new head coach at Galen Center two hours after Bronny’s announcement.

As the No. 20 prospect in the nation in 2023, according to ESPN, Bronny committed to USC last May. He was a headliner of the Trojans’ No. 3 recruiting class and a projected first-round pick in the 2024 NBA draft. But Bronny’s season confronted expectations before it even began. 

During a team workout in July, Bronny collapsed and suffered a cardiac arrest. A James family spokesperson attributed the incident to a congenital heart defect. 

Bronny didn’t just survive this grave health scare; he was cleared for practice four and a half months later, making his collegiate debut Dec. 10 in an overtime loss to Long Beach State, where he scored four points in 16 minutes.

Despite Bronny’s miraculous return to the court, he did not produce enough throughout the remainder of the season to maintain his status as a top NBA prospect — Bronny has been excluded from Bleacher Report’s and ESPN’s NBA mock drafts.

Former Head Coach Andy Enfield recruited Bronny to the Trojans, but he departed the program Monday to fill the head coaching vacancy at Southern Methodist University. Enfield’s exit forced Bronny to evaluate his status as a Trojan and student-athlete, and Bronny’s decision to enter the transfer portal was widely speculated Tuesday. 

“He has some tough decisions to make,” LeBron told ESPN regarding Bronny’s potential transfer. “When he’s ready to make those decisions, he’ll let us all know, but as his family, we’re going to support whatever he does.”

If Bronny does transfer from USC, he would not be the first to leave. Junior guard Kobe Johnson, sophomore guard Oziyah Sellers and sophomore forward Kijani Wright have all decided to ditch USC for the transfer portal. According to Orange County Register reporter Luca Evans, junior forward Harrison Hornery is the only player committed to playing on the team for the  2024-25 season.

Discussions about the trajectory of Bronny’s basketball career are entwined with LeBron’s, as his father has publicly expressed interest in playing with his son before retirement.

“I got to be on the floor with Bronny,” LeBron said in an interview with ESPN in January 2023. “Either in the same uniform or a matchup against him … I ask him what his aspirations [are] and he says he wants to play in the NBA. So, if he wants to do it, he’s got to put in the work. I’m here already, so I’m just waiting on him.”

Although Bronny contributed minimally on the court in his freshman season at USC, his window of opportunity to play with his father in the league is waning. Conversations about LeBron’s future as an athlete came up Sunday.

“I’m on the other side, obviously, of the hill,” LeBron told reporters in a postgame interview Monday. “I’m not gonna play another 21 years, that’s for damn sure. But not very long. I don’t know when that door will close as far as when I’ll retire. But I don’t have much time left.”

The possibility of this intergenerational duo may be decided June 26-27 at the NBA draft. As for the transfer portal, seeing as the 2023-24 season isn’t over until Monday, there’s still a long way to go.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.