Steve Johnson named ITA Player of the Year

For the second consecutive year, USC senior Steve Johnson was named the Campbell/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National College Player of the Year on Friday.

Living legend · Steve Johnson was named Intercollegiate Tennis Association Player of the Year for the second straight year. He helped lead the Trojans to four consecutive national championships. - Corey Marquetti | Summer Trojan

Johnson wrapped up a prolific four-year career at USC with his second straight NCAA singles championship in May.

He also helped the Trojans capture four consecutive NCAA team championships and finished 37-0 in singles in his senior year.

Johnson ended his career ranked No. 1 in ITA rankings for the second straight time and finished with an unprecedented streak of 72 singles wins, which dates to January 2011.

In his senior year, Johnson gave up just two sets to 26 dual match opponents and one set to six opponents in the NCAA singles tournament.

Johnson also finished 21-1 in overall doubles with freshman Roberto Quiroz. The No. 2 ranked pair advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA doubles tournament.

Johnson is the fourth men’s player to earn the Campbell/ITA National Player of the Year award in consecutive seasons.

Other accolades include two straight Pac-12 men’s Player of the Year awards and seven ITA All-American honors after earning both singles and doubles honors this season.

USC has produced the last three Campbell/ITA National College Players of the Year, including Johnson in the last two years and Robert Farah in 2010.

Johnson will be recognized alongside female Player of the Year Nicole Gibbs from Stanford at the 2012 International Tennis Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on July 14 in Newport, R.I.