Group aims to rally voters against prop

In an effort to educate students about the importance of greenhouse legislation, USC’s chapter of the California Public Interest Research Group campaigned this week to obtain 4,000 pledges to vote no on Proposition 23, which would overturn California’s Global Warming Solutions Act.

Prop opposition · Haley Brown, right, a senior majoring in theatre, talks to Allessandra Brown about the upcoming California proposition. - Dan Doperalski | Daily Trojan

After three days of campaigning on Trousdale Parkway, 1,000 pledges have been obtained, said CalPIRG campus coordinator Brittany Heenan. Though short of the original goal of 4,000 pledges, chapter president David Mittelstein said the spirit of the initiative is not deterred.

CalPIRG’s goal of 4,000 pledges was part of a larger effort by CalPIRG chapters across the state to secure an estimated 100,000 pledges on 45 college campuses this week. Statewide, CalPIRG collected 10,579 pledges.

“Getting the word out there will still have a positive effect,” said Mittelstein, a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering. “If Proposition 23 passes, it will not be beneficial for the economy or the environment.”

CalPIRG’s concern is that California’s influence as a leader in the green initiative will be lessened if the proposition passes in the November election.

The proposition stipulates that California’s current environmental protection laws will be restored only after the state unemployment rate is lower than 5.5 percent.

“If Prop 23 passes, it will not be beneficial for the economy, or for anybody but the oil companies,” Mittelstein said.

Arthur Li, member of the USC CalPIRG chapter and a sophomore majoring in philosophy, said eliciting student support has required persistence.

“We are doing everything we can, but it is difficult when students pledge but aren’t enthusiastic,” Li said.

Li said he can only hope everyone who pledges will follow through in their voting.

“It’s important for people to have integrity, especially when it comes to the environment,” Li said. “California will become black and oily if people don’t vote no on Prop 23.”

After pledging to vote no on Prop 23, Alisa Kim, a freshman majoring in print and digital journalism, said she believes people of her generation care about the environment.

“We are so limited in what we can do,” Kim said. “When the opportunity arises, we need to do what we can.”

CalPIRG members will continue to campaign on campus to achieve 6,000 total student pledges in hopes of educating voters before the Nov. 2 election.

“CalPIRG sets high goals,  — that’s just the way we operate,” Li said. “I think we’re still on a good track.”

1. Steve Simmons
    Steve Simmons says:

Earl,
    Are you high?
    You sound like you are high.
    The state of the ecomony in California is pretty bad. More regulation is only going to send jobs and people elsewhere. California has no lock on the businesses that are here. If they leave, so do the jobs.
    Companies are in business of making money, not providing jobs, health care, or social services. When regulations and costs on business gets so high you don’t make money, you close down or move away to a new location where things are better suited for your business.

Lay of the pipe!

2. Earl Richards
    Earl Richards says:

The California Jobs initiative (CJI) is an oil corporation farce and fraud. There is no connection, whatsoever, between greenhouse gas emission reduction and the loss of jobs. This notion is an insult to the intelligence of the people of California. In fact, there is job growth in the clean, renewable energy industry. Chevron employs 65,000 worldwide and CJI is not going to change this. The only jobs created by the oil industry are clean-up jobs after oil spills and deep water, blow-outs and pump-handler jobs. CJI will make fantastic profits for the oil industry, increase air pollution, especially in communities around their refineries, and there will not be lower gas prices. Koch Industries, Valero and Tesoro are super Enrons. Since when did the oil companies start to show any concern for the unemployed and their families and for small businesses?