Record-high heat wave swelters Los Angeles

Downtown Los Angeles was hit with a staggering high of 113 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday, the hottest temperature ever recorded for the area.

Hot hot heat · Students escape from the heat by sitting in the pool outside Leavey Library. The temperature reached 113 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday, breaking a city record, but the high heat is expected to go down as the week progresses. - Nathaniel Gonzales | Daily Trojan

The last record was set on June 26, 1990 with a high of 112 degrees Fahrenheit.

Forecasts show that temperatures will remain in the high 80s for the next few days but will steadily decrease throughout the week.

The university sent out a Trojans Alert advising students to stay hydrated and remain in air-conditioned buildings for the duration of the day.

Many freshmen students said they found it difficult to keep cool because the majority of the freshman, however, dorm rooms on campus are not equipped with air conditioners.

“It’s been pretty rough because I’ll try to go back to my room and it’s just unbearable being upstairs. So I’ll come down to the lobby to work, but the lobby is packed with people in every room,” said Ian Lipson, a freshman majoring in music industry who lives in Birnkrant Residential College.

To deal with the heat, students said they are also sleeping in air-conditioned lobbies at night to keep from overheating.

“There was no floor space in the [Birnkrant lobby] last night because everyone was sleeping on the floor. It feels like a big slumber party. It was ridiculous,” said Sara Carrion, a freshman majoring in international relations.

Dr. Lawrence Neinstein, executive director of the University Park Health Center, recommended that students stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink water throughout the day and apply sunscreen when going outside.

In addition, he said students should reduce their alcohol intake and dress in cool, loose-fitting clothing.

The health center will be open to provide evaluations for anyone feeling faint or experiencing other symptoms related to the heat.