BREAKING NEWS: Student falls from Birnkrant dorm

A male student fell from the sixth floor of Birnkrant Residence Hall this morning, according to Department of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle.

According to an e-mail sent to Birnkrant residents, the student was identified as Jackson Roddy, a freshman majoring in accounting. Roddy is pledging Sigma Nu fraternity.

Los Angeles City Fire Department paramedics and the Los Angeles City Police Department responded to the scene at about 6 a.m. and treated Roddy. A DPS report listed the incident as happening between 6:02 and 6:30 a.m.

Though his condition is not known, Roddy was transferred to the California Hospital.

The university released a statement on USC’s website shortly before noon.

“Our thoughts and prayers go to the student and his family,” said Dr. Michael L. Jackson, vice president for Student Affairs.

The statement also encouraged all students to seek counseling if needed, and said the university was reaching out to those who might have been affected by the incident. Students can contact Student Affairs at (213) 740-2421 or the USC Center for Work and Family Life at (213) 821-0800. Four counselors have been designated specifically to the dorm, the statement said.

Though official DPS reports in the morning indicated that incident might have been caused by a jump, authorities said they now do not know the cause of the fall and are still investigating.

“I don’t even know how to characterize what happened except that we know that someone on the sixth floor ended up on the ground. How that happened is being investigated by everyone,” said James Grant, director of USC Media Relations.