Former Trojan defensive end Everson Griffen arrested near USC

Former USC defensive end Everson Griffen was tased and apprehended by LAPD after assaulting an officer at a traffic stop near USC’s campus at around 4 p.m. Monday.

everson griffen

Former USC defensive end Everson Griffen was arrested near campus Monday.

Police officers were performing a traffic stop at the intersection of 30th and Hoover Streets when they pulled Griffen over. He did not have a valid I.D. on him and became aggressive when questioned by officers, according to an LAPD spokesperson. Griffen attempted to run away and then assaulted one of the officers who was pursuing him. The officers tased Griffen, then arrested him on a charge of felony battery.

Griffen, who was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 100th overall pick in last April’s NFL Draft, had been on campus earlier in the day to visit coaches and players.

As a junior, Griffen recorded 45 tackles for the Trojans before giving up his final season of elgibility to declare for the draft.

Monday was not Griffen’s first run-in with the law.

On July 4, 2009, Griffen, along with former USC linebacker Jordan Campbell, was cited by the Nantucket Police Department for a noise violation at a party.

1. jeff
    jeff says:

The police around USC are nothing but thugs, I cant see any reason the man would want to run because of a stupid traffic violation, do you? I bet anything they were trying to shake the guy for a few bucks by virtue of threat.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Former Trojan defensive end Everson Griffen arrested near USC … Trojans set to begin spring season. The USC men's golf team looks to ride its fall season momentum into the spring this week as it kicks off its 21st annual Amer . Recruiting Roundup. Report: Pomee settles on the trojans Four-star . […]

2. […] Vikings first-year defensive end Everson Griffen has been arrested, the Daily Trojan reports. […]

3. […] and so defensive end Everson Griffen has provided the latest grist: In a story first reported by the Daily Trojan, Griffen was arrested Monday in Los Angeles and booked for investigation of felony battery. […]

4. […] Monday, he was tasered and arrested after allegedly assaulting a police officer during a traffic stop. The incident took place near […]

5. […] by Lori A. on February 1, 2011 Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen was tased and arrested near the USC campus on Monday after assaulting a police officer, according to the Daily Trojan. […]

6. […] student newspaper The Daily Trojan, former Trojan and current Viking, Everson Griffen was arrested Monday afternoon. Police officers were performing a traffic stop at the intersection of 30th and Hoover […]

7. […] in one location.  Now you have Vikings getting in problems all over the place.  The latest, Everson Griffin in Los Angeles. Former USC defensive end Everson Griffen was tased and apprehended by LAPD after assaulting an […]

8. […] to the Daily Trojan, Everson Griffen was arrested on charges of assaulting a police officer Monday.Our View: Griffen […]