Manufacturing will revamp job market

Industrialization began with modest advances in technology that made once-tedious tasks quicker. The second wave of innovation utilized assembly lines, factories and specialization of manual labor to create a mass consumer culture where former luxury products turned into products the average citizen could afford.

Max Rubin | Daily Trojan

This culture has persisted for so long that it is generally accepted as the way things are, but that era is coming to a close. We are entering a third revolution in technology, one in which menial manufacturing tasks are becoming automated.

What many Americans fail to notice, however, are the potential implications of such a dramatic change in infrastructure. Policymaking that developed in response to our current culture will have to accommodate a culture where mass production and low- to mid-level jobs aren’t such a predominant force in the economy. As students, we’ll need to adjust our plans for entering a job market in which many potential careers no longer exist.

In many ways, Henry Ford’s idea on manufacturing remains the default: Employing hundreds of factory workers to produce large quantities of a homogenous good. This demand for unskilled labor has shaped the job market for the working class, but as software advances, the need for manual laborers decreases. Soon, they might become entirely unnecessary.

This phenomenon doesn’t just affect factory workers. Many semi-professional jobs are beginning to become dispensable. Thanks to ATMs, for example, I can hardly remember the last time I talked to a bank teller. Previously, software for machines had a margin of error large enough to require humans for certain jobs; now, an ATM can read a check accurately on its own.

The implications of such changes are global. Currently, many automated jobs are outsourced to countries with cheap labor. If cheap labor is no longer needed, the majority of production will likely move back to first-world countries.

This development could have an enormous impact on the balance of global power: Whether a country is an economic powerhouse will depend on its ability to produce the best scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs. If masses of laborers no longer matter, neither will a country’s population size.

The increase in automation and customization will also change the way we perceive the job market. On one hand, smart machines could cause an enormous spike in unemployment; on the other, it could cause an incredible increase in jobs requiring creativity and innovation.

Just as agriculture allowed members of society to specialize in occupations unrelated to basic survival, automated machines could provide people with the opportunity to focus on art and intellectual pursuits.

Positives and negatives will exist in a future where manufacturing is about software rather than labor. We’ve reached a level of technological advancement where economics, class and global policy are going to have to radically change.

We also need to consider how these changes could affect our educational and career paths, especially as students. Success in higher education and students’ majors will become much more important as professions requiring specialized skills become central to the economy.

Careers won’t be limited, however, to science-oriented fields. As mid-level jobs decline, society will be more capable of supporting less technical professions. Engineering will still matter — but fewer people would turn their noses up at a degree in English.

Burke Gibson is a freshman majoring in economics.

1. Hillary
    Hillary says:

“As mid-level jobs decline, society will be more capable of supporting less technical professions.” ???

… so, as mid-level jobs decline
    … then, obviously, more low-level jobs will be the increasing majority
    … thus, in the future, more (lower-skilled) people will not need invest time to learn challenging skills.

Yep… maybe that’s where the world is really headed … more English majors because we really need more non-skilled people to staff the McDonald’s of the world.

Geez. What an amazing article! :-?

2. d-graded TA
    d-graded TA says:

I realize you are only a freshman. First, where is this unspecified “mass consumer culture”? Second, the “first-world” is an obsolete cold war term-you sound like the Romeny campaign. Also, It would enhance your argument to provide some examples of the technological advancements of the future you mention. Also the process you are talking about is it referred to as the degradation of labor that originates back to Federick W. Tylor concept of scientific management during the Progressive era. I encourage you to read Harry Braverman Labor and Monopoly Capitalism. Most disturbing is that your argument left no room for historical contingency, unintended consequences, ‘externalities’ e.g environment and most especially human agency. Labor and social movement have been critical force of historical change. Everything from Occupy to Egypt, will ensure that technology and those with “specialized skill” to create them will not solely determine our global future. In short you are being technologically deterministic.
    Not sure what they are teaching in Econ these day but its certainly not reality.

3. Ras
    Ras says:

Unions are going to be doing more harm then good if they do not wake up and smell the jobs fleeing to China. Unless they realize the true value of their labor in this global economy, their labor will no longer be needed.

4. Thekatman
    Thekatman says:

Good article. One thing to note about the future of manufacturing in America is that as the technology improves to automate as much as possible, the unions will fight back, in order to maintain status quo for their members, and that will be the biiggest hurdle for companies to overcome. The reason we have lost much of our mfg prowess is due to the very tit grip the unions have over these companies.

Ford runs a fully automated auto plant in Brazil. That plant does not exists in the US because the unions wont allow it. If you young people can resist the union pressures to join, you and the country will be a lot better off in the long run. Union shops slow down progress and union bosses only want to maintain their “elite”position in the work force. Union officials want more union members in order to protect themselves from eventually losing their jobs. Unions had their day. Now it’s time to move on to a more productive model of employment for you and for greater opportunities for companies kickstart the manufacturing industry agin in America.
    Good luck……..