News media ownership must be scrutinized

When readers sit down to read the newspaper every morning, they probably never think about the people who own it. This might change with a recent controversy surrounding the potential sale of the Los Angeles Times.

Since 2000, the L.A. Times has been the property of the media company Tribune, which owns copious news stations, newspapers, magazines and more. In the past few weeks, however, billionaires Charles and David Koch have become frontrunners in acquiring the prestigious title, according to The New York Times.

It might not seem important at first, but turning over a trusted publication to a powerful individual or individuals is likely to have negative ramifications for the L.A. Times. In an industry that has already seen a rapid decline because of the advent of social media, online blogs and Internet publications, the sale of the L.A. Times to owners such as Charles and David Koch seems unavoidable and, yet, it is a transaction that should be undertaken with extremely careful consideration.

According to the Huffington Post, the Koch brothers are considered the founders of the Tea Party. They’ve boasted a long and successful career based on their libertarian ideas and, according to The New York Times, earlier this year they held a seminar for some wealthy friends in which they proposed a 10-year strategy to shift the country toward a smaller government with less regulation and taxes.

The decision to purchase the Los Angeles Times, along with eight other regional newspaper industry, is part of that strategy.

Although personal beliefs are protected by the Constitution, the possession of a massive media platform, one that reaches millions of people on a daily basis, means it is likely that the brothers’ agenda would somehow trickle down through the pages.

According to Amy Chozick in an article for The New York Times, “The papers could serve as a broader platform for the Kochs’ laissez-faire ideas.”

Such a revelation is alarming for the newspaper industry. Though the Koch brothers, along with every other American citizen, are free to voice those opinions to the extent protected by the First Amendment, a newspaper publication like the Los Angeles Times is not something that should be subject to behind-the-scenes influence in ideology.

Seton Motley, president of the activism org Less Government and a friend of the Kochs, gave a frightening quote to the New York Times: “A running joke among conservatives as we watched the GOP establishment spend $500 million on ineffectual TV ads is ‘Why don’t you just buy NBC?’ It’s good the Kochs are talking about fighting fire with a little fire.”

The idea of handing over the Los Angeles Times — along with several other influential publications — to powerful individuals whose personal political agendas could influence the publications is a potential breach of the journalistic integrity on which most newspapers are founded.

Yet, Tribune is adamant on selling most of its publications, and individual billionaires are the only sellers capable of making the transaction. The loyal readers who have followed the Los Angeles Times for all 125 years of its existence deserve better than to see the paper turned into a fully pulpit, and should carefully follow how its sale unfolds.

Major newspapers across the country have seen cutback after cutback, with many firing veteran reporters and/ or giving reporters smaller salaries. Several large newspapers, most recently the Boston Globe, have also completely gone under.

As James Warren of The Atlantic said, “[The] younger generation wants its information online, and newspapers and magazines have obliged by, after first being too slow to embrace the Internet, giving their content away online for free.”

The industry is already in trouble. And every time a Rupert Murdoch or a Charles and David Koch snaps up a title to put under their belt, the trouble deepens. For newspapers to do their job, there needs to be as little outside influence as possible. Unobjective news isn’t news.

It’s time for the media to get back to the basics of reporting and leave personal beliefs at the door.

Payal Mukerji is a junior majoring in business administration. Her column “Risky Business” runs Tuesdays.

1. Liberty Minded
    Liberty Minded says:

Wait, who decides whom can buy what?

If it is anyone but the person with the money, it is not a free society.
    In a regulated market, the government serves the function to keep fraud and violence in check.

When a government starts deciding whom can buy what, it is setting itself up a master of slaves or father of children that never grow up.

2. tedc
    tedc says:

Hmmm. No hand-wringing here about Warren Buffett (D) buying newspapers throughout the U.S. at an accelerating rate. And no concern that Chris Hughes, who handled online strategies for President Obama (D) bought and operates The New Republic magazine. Or that former U.S. Representative Jane Harman (D) took a swing and a miss at saving Newsweek magazine and retains an ownership stake in The (D)aily Beast. Is it your thesis that only (D)emocratic leaning people can be responsible proprietors of newspapers? Because if so then why is The New York Times in economic free-fall back here in New York with good union jobs vaporizing monthly at the hands of a (D)ubious management team, while Uncle Rupert – just a few blocks away – is adding staff – many of them union and confirmed (D)emocrats?

3. Rich K
    Rich K says:

The author interjects their ideological bias and disregards opposite viewpoints. Rather than allow “free speech” whether it’s right or left treated equally, the author claims the Koch brothers are not entitled to purchasing a free enterprise because of their political stance. Once again liberal tolerance is only allowed to like minded entities and opposition minded prospectives are prohibited. Talk about a one sided hit piece.

4. Frenchie
    Frenchie says:

I’ll renew my subscription and advertise my business once the Koch brothers clean out the trash that currently writes for the LA Times!

5. Current Student
    Current Student says:

Are you oblivious to the fact that the Los Angeles Times already leans way to the left? The paper seems to put out more hit pieces on anything/anyone that isn’t uber-liberal than it does report on news.

6. Alex Cohen
    Alex Cohen says:

The minute the Koch brothers take over the Los Angeles Times I’ll be canceling my subscription.

7. Tommy T
    Tommy T says:

I really hope this sale doesn’t go through for the exact same reasons you cited. Thanks for writing this; hope it reaches many students and makes them aware of how important it is.