COLUMN: Does greek life still have a place on our campus?

This month, we’ve seen a string of incidents on college campuses related to greek life that have sparked controversy. Recently, a UCLA fraternity hosted a “Kanye Western” themed party that featured students wearing blackface and dressed to imitate Kanye West’s wife, reality star Kim Kardashian. Late last month, Undergraduate Student Government President Rini Sampath experienced racism when a fraternity member hurled a drink at her and used some choice words.

These instances aren’t novel to greek life. Time and time again, reports of inappropriate and dangerous scenarios from greek life events, houses and parties surface. They aren’t isolated incidents, nor anomalies.

In today’s world — one more aware of and privy to moral and social justice in the public sphere — we must reevaluate whether greek life has a place on college campuses at all. More importantly, recent incidents have called into question the consistency of the principles and philosophy of Greek life with a positive impact on students and the community. Rather, its actions and history of violence, discrimination, sexual assault and racism may have become morally hazardous and detrimental to the development of young students, universities and our communities.

In the last two years alone at USC, we’ve seen a string of events that have been cause for concern. From a partygoer falling from a table, to a number of reported cases of sexual assault and rape, to frequent anecdotes from current and former fraternity and sorority members, the Row and greek life have posed more of a threat to safety and campus welfare than any other extracurricular or bonding experience. Horrific stories of hazing and bullying also grab headlines and illustrate an institution fraught with antiquated practices and worn-out beliefs.

Fraternities and sororities are ostensibly structured to develop young men and women as leaders through community events and engagement. What was once a constructive activity has turned into breeding ground of alcohol and drug abuse, sexual violence that puts individuals in danger, and egregious acts of racism and discrimination. Transports on the Row don’t have to be a rite of passage. Young women shouldn’t have to worry that they may be taken advantage of at a fraternity party. Cases of rape shouldn’t have to be swept under the rug in fear of social backlash. Freshmen shouldn’t have to be hazed in order to be initiated. New members shouldn’t have to be of a certain race or social status in order to be accepted.

What greek life has transformed into is a divisive machine that no longer meets the goals it set out to achieve. The byproduct of its actions has fostered a culture that turns a blind eye to rape and sexual assault, and one that is resigned to apathy in the face of racism and discrimination. Greek life seems to have lost its aim and has become a spectacle that threatens moral standing and has no regard for social expectations.

Some may argue that Sampath could have easily experienced racism outside the Row or that the UCLA party was blown out of proportion or not representative of all parties. What both events demonstrate is a microcosm of what’s actually happening at these parties and in greek life. We shouldn’t wait for yet another story of a disturbing party, reported rape or hazing incident to realize the culture of greek life has become a problem that needs to be addressed.

As a leading research university, USC is not only a model for the community, but also has the capacity to change the national narrative in terms of fraternity life. An honest discussion must take place about greek  life’s role and place on college campuses and its tangible impact on university culture and actions.

I’m not saying greek life should be outright banned, but it’s necessary to now take a step back and ascertain what greek life is doing and how it’s shaping campus life.

Athanasius Georgy is a junior majoring in economics. His column, “Campus Talk,” runs  Thursdays.

1. samdman
    samdman says:

there are plenty of valid reasons to question fraternities, but citing the UCLA incident with “blackface” just weakens your point.

there is no evidence that anyone actually wore blackface. some were dressed as “gold diggers” with charcoal on their face and pickaxes, and others had fake facial hair, but there was nothing even approaching minstrelsy-level racism.

This is the second opinion piece that has made this factually incorrect assertion. I expect better from the Daily Trojan.