We’re With Her: Daily Trojan endorses Hillary Clinton for President

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-11-30-46-pm

If this election has taught our generation one thing, it is that young people are no longer just a demographic, but a political force. In the first presidential election to have as many millennial voters as baby boomer voters, we have already made history: bringing to the forefront of both parties’ platforms issues of college affordability and campus sexual assault. But now the time has come to not just push the course of history in the direction we see fit, but cast a vote that emulates the future we want to see. That vote should be for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

As college students, we stand on the tightrope between childhood and adulthood. We want our future to be shaped by hands that are calloused from 30 years of public service, and inspired by a voice that has stood up for the rights of women, children and all Americans alike. She is not our choice because she would be the first woman president. She is not our choice because she is simply an alternative to Republican nominee Donald Trump. She is our choice because she is willing to not only listen to the future the millennial generation envisions, but also change her vision to meet ours.

Already on the campaign trail, following the massive millennial support for former Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders and his platform of debt-free college, Clinton heard us. She did not take her victory over Sanders in stride. She listened, she learned and she changed. Clinton has a comprehensive plan outlined as to how to improve college affordability, including free public college for students whose families earn less than $85,000, free community college, debt relief and refinancing options, as well as lowering the interest rates on student loans.

Trump, on the other hand, has said students are “choking” on loans, yet offers little to back up how he would fix this problem. College affordability is a real issue, affecting all of us on college campuses. We successfully pushed it into the forefront of the election, so it is time we finished the job, picking the candidate that took it seriously enough to offer us more than empty promises.

Another issue we are faced with too often on college campuses is campus sexual assault. Just last year it was reported that nearly 30 percent of women at USC had experienced some form of sexual assault. That number is not only astonishing, but also cannot be ignored. Students should not have to compromise their safety to pursue an education, and Clinton has laid out an extensive plan for how she plans to provide support for survivors, key in on educational programs and provide a fair process that encourages survivors to report without fear of retaliation. 

Her opponent has taken a different, more muddied stance. Putting aside the numerous claims of sexual assault against Trump and the video evidence released by the Washington Post of him bragging to Access Hollywood host Billy Bush about sexually exploiting women, Trump and the GOP platform have taken some stances on addressing campus sexual assault that are causes for concern. For example, the GOP platform reads that all sexual assault cases be tried “by civil authorities and prosecuted in a courtroom, not a faculty lounge,” and criticizes the Obama Administration’s interpretation of Title IX to call for campus investigations and disclosure of all sexual assault reports to the federal government.

This is a deeply problematic stance. Although it can hardly be disputed that higher education has been guilty of mismanaging sexual assault investigations, the criminal justice system has as well. The solution is not to simply cease campus investigations of sexual assault. The answer is comprehensive reform, an analysis of our policies and how we can make them better, and there is no better candidate to implement this type of reform than Hillary Clinton.

Hillary Clinton has been a trailblazer her whole life.  When she saw injustice, she did not lose her temper, she did not ignore it. Rather, she listened and then took action. In college, Clinton shifted to the Democratic party because she was moved by the political awakening caused by the Vietnam War and civil rights activism. She was part of the political revolution of her time, and she chose to stand up and take action, dedicating her life to public service.

In 1992, while facing ad hominem attacks for her decision to maintain her career as a practicing attorney during her husband’s presidential run, she rallied against the restrictive gender norms that minimized First Ladies to merely heads of the house, saying “I suppose I could’ve stayed home and baked cookies and had teas but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession which I entered before my husband was in public life” — a radical statement regarding women’s role in society for the early ’90s. And in 1995, she stood up and declared that “women’s rights are human rights.” This is the type of leader we need in this era of change we seek in the world.

During her commencement speech at Wellesley College,  Clinton’s words still ring true for this critical time in American history: “One of the most tragic things that happened yesterday, a beautiful day, was that I was talking to a woman who said that she wouldn’t want to be me for anything in the world. She wouldn’t want to live today and look ahead to what it is she sees because she’s afraid. Fear is always with us but we just don’t have time for it. Not now.”

Hillary Clinton does not just want to “live today” and “look ahead” without fear, she has had this same goal since she was a college student like us. She was one of us, she will fight for us, and we can be led into the future without fear in her capable hands.

Without hesitation or reservation, the Daily Trojan endorses Hillary Clinton for President of the United States. She’s with us, and now we’re with Her. 

1. John H. Gleason
    John H. Gleason says:

I am so happy that Hillary Clinton lost. Her policy proposals were terrible and she is dishonest and deceitful. Who else would have set up a private server to handle her official email? Who else would have erased any trace of 33,000 emails and then said that they all concerned yoga and wedding planning? Only Hillary. Only Hillary. Her dishonesty was her undoing. She and Bill may have been hoping to quintuple their fortune, but now those dreams are shattered.

2. Ras5555
    Ras5555 says:

As college students, you are not walking a tightrope between childhood and adult – you are an adult. Time to grow up. There is no such thing as a free lunch or anything free for that matter. The only question is who pays and who does not. It is clear people are getting tired of people in this country adopting a self entitled mentality without contributing their fair share. Yes – I am talking to all you welfare recipients who have not budged to look for work and instead adopted a lifestyle that only seeks handouts. Grow up – not all decisions are heroic “good” or “bad” decisions – this is not a bad Aaron Sorkin TV show – tough decisions are just that – decisions hard to make because not always a 100% cheery and fluffy results for everyone. Stop believing in unicorns and pixie dust.

3. GeorgeCurious
    GeorgeCurious says:

I’m voting for Trump with the hope that if he wins it will permanently wipe away Hillary’s smirk once and for all.

4. Denny Crane
    Denny Crane says:

In light of ALL the corruption, all the collusion, all the pay-to-play… you endorse Hillary? I wonder what the mindset here is. Is it simply the knee-jerk requirement to vote Democrat? You could have had Bernie…well, if there wasn’t all the DNC Shenanigans against him… you can still have Jill Stein. And, although I disagree with them politically, they seem genuine people. That’s something you cannot say about Hillary.

• wildthumb
      wildthumb says:

Sorry, baby. Just look at all the “investigations” against her for thirty years and it’s a big NOTHING. Jill Stein is “genuine”? She’s been vetted for 30 years? You “know” her? The GOP mounted this hate campaign against Hillary decades ago and even the left ilnternalized it: “Yeah, she’s a crook.” When you hear drek every day about somebody even the most intelligent and discerning will believe it.

Oh, and BTW, Bernie is out campaigning with her proudly. He’s the wise one.

• Denny Crane
        Denny Crane says:

Wikileaks, “honey”. And, I’ll save you the typing. It’s been fully corroborated as the genuine, unaltered emails from Hillary, Podesta, Huma, etc. It wasn’t from the “BIG SCARY RUSSIANS”, it came from within the United States intelligence community. Oh, and BTW, the latest batch released from Podesta talks about the leverage the Hillary campaign has on Bernie to make him play ball. I guess you won’t talk about that. How about the proof that Debbie Wasserman Schultz coordinated with the Hillary campaign to tank Bernie’s campaign? No? Won’t face that either? Sad.

• wildthumb
      wildthumb says:

FULL OF SHIT u are, as Yoda might say.

Her fucking email scandal is the biggest fucking nothing in the world, and a colossal waste of time. In spite of what you and your blood brother Giuliani think. (Did I say THINK?)

Except perhaps for you: you’re a gigantic nothing yourself, and I can enjoy myself imagining both your and your Orange Monster-Boy’s heads in one of his gaudy gold toiilets. AHHHHHHHH.

5. Benjamin Roberts
    Benjamin Roberts says:

I don’t mind who people vote for, as long as they are politically engaged, reasonably aware of the issues and candidates, and able to articulate their positions. However, this serves as yet another moment for me to state my belief that journalistic media should NOT endorse candidates for public office – period. I understand that it’s a longstanding tradition, but I think it flies in the face of fundamental principles of journalistic reporting. Of course journalists, like everyone, are entitled to an opinion and a position, but for the “editorial board” of a newspaper, magazine, or any news outlet to go on record with an official endorsement of a candidate immediately provides solid evidence of the bias that they are so often accused of. In light of such endorsements, it is indeed all but impossible to accept that reporting by such news organizations isn’t tainted by it’s now-disclosed position. There are plenty of reasonable and legitimate forums for partisanship. Journalistic media and news organizations are not among them.

It is my opinion that political endorsements should be reserved for blogs, opinion columns, pundits, or publications whose stated purpose is to promote a particular cause, candidate or policy. Traditional news outlets, including the Daily Trojan, should stick to clear, accurate and balanced delivery of news and information, and stay away from sanctimonious and tendentious endorsements.

6. Rob Vance
    Rob Vance says:

Ms. Rodham is a felon, many times over and this disqualifies her for high office. Because vagina is no reason to vote for a person. Your editorial board’s endorsement makes me think we should raise the voting age.

• samdman
      samdman says:

Let’s break down this comment shall we?

1) I’m not sure you understand what a felon is, as Hillary was never convicted of a felony.

2) Implying that people are voting for Hillary solely because she’s a woman is frankly insulting and the type of misogyny that many people deal with on a daily basis

3) You disagree with the choice of candidate for endorsement, and therefore believe that these people shouldn’t be able to vote. It’s no wonder this is your first reaction, when Republicans have gutted the VRA and Trump is encouraging “poll watchers” to intimidate voters in minority-heavy neighborhoods.

• Rob Vance
        Rob Vance says:

Let’s see what you’re saying Sandman – “She has admitted she used a private email server for government business which is in fact a felony, and you’re still saying this is OK.” It’s not btw. Stop picking nits. The facts support the assertion that she is a felon, convicted or not. Further, you falsely claim misogyny when plenty of her supporters use just this argument. As to VRA being gutted, I guess you aren’t remembering how JFK and the Daley’s stole the 1960 election are you? Same as happens in Philadelphia today when 100% of the votes in some precincts were for O. Yep voter fraud does happen and the VRA is still in force. Personally I suggest requiring ID – you likely don’t because your side benefits.

• wildthumb
        wildthumb says:

Don’t reply to this guy. He’s all over the place hating on Hillary. Screw him.

He’s the type who would lynch somebody on flimsy evidence if he hated them. No trial. Just, “she’s guilty.”

I think he’s guilty. Of stupidity.

• Steve B.
      Steve B. says:

You are an idiot per se. Your language is criminal. She has not been charged with any crime. Anyone who would
      vote for Trump needs to go back, and get a real education. Too bad your vote is worthless in California if that is
      where you reside.

• Rob Vance
        Rob Vance says:

So you have no arguments and can only resort to insults, that’s what you’re saying Stevie.

For my part, HRC is prima facie guilty of violating Section 1236.22 of the 2009 National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) requirements states that:

“Agencies that allow employees to send and receive official electronic mail messages using a system not operated by the agency must ensure that Federal records sent or received on such systems are preserved in the appropriate agency record keeping system.”

In Mrs. Clinton’s case, her emails were kept on her personal account (and private server) and her staff took no steps to have them preserved as part of State Department record. Her attempt to evade this by returning a self-selected subset of emails does not constitute compliance under the law. Evidence available in the press indicates that relevant records were left out of her delivery in violation of this law. This constitutes failure to preserve federal records and is punishable by law.

There is NO legitimate reason for HRC (or any other SoS or other government employee) to bypass established communication methods and instead work through a private system, keeping secrets the public (her employer) has a right to know.

QED Hillary is guilty of violation of this and several other Federal laws. Based on available evidence she is guilty of a number of felonies.