Game 7 rewind: Defensive play is spotty

The story: No. 4 USC avenged an early-season defeat from a year ago, beating Oregon State — just barely — in a closer-than-expected shootout, 42-36.

The Beavers had two chances to get the ball back late in the fourth quarter but failed to stop the USC offense on two third-down plays.

Return specialist · Damian Williams’ punt return for a touchdown proved to be the decisive score that lifted the Trojans over the Beavers. - Dieuwertje Kast | Daily Trojan

“It sucks,” said Oregon State quarterback Sean Canfield, who completed 30-of-43 passes for 329 yards and three touchdowns. “We just ran out of time. We didn’t make enough plays, and they made more.”

USC (6-1) led 21-6 at one point and 42-23 at another, but Oregon State (4-3) didn’t let up and pushed its way back into the game on both occasions.

“It’s a lesson learned,” said redshirt junior linebacker Michael Morgan said. “We shut them down for the most part in the first half, but they came out as a different team in the second half.”

Key play: Shortly after the start of the fourth quarter, USC junior receiver Damian Williams took a punt back 63 yards for the touchdown, opening the Trojans’ lead up to 42-23.

At the time it looked like it would be the dagger in the Beavers’ collective heart.

Oregon State did manage to put together two consecutive touchdown drives to narrow the score, but Williams’ touchdown proved to be the difference.

“We needed a big play, and we were real fortunate to make that play,” Williams said. “The biggest thing was the blocking. I told the guys that all they had to do was give 100 percent on that play, and I’d do the rest.”

USC coach Pete Carroll mentioned after the game that special teams coordinator Brian Schneider had switched up the blocking schemes just before the return occurred.

“Damian’s punt return was exhilarating — the play of the year,” Carroll said. “We were anticipating that this might be the one, and it was.”

Most valuable player: Redshirt junior running back Allen Bradford. Bradford set career highs with 15 carries and 147 yards, including two touchdowns and six first downs.

He didn’t replace starter Joe McKnight until midway through the second quarter. From that point on, McKnight rushed the ball only three times, while Bradford ran all over the Oregon State defense.

Surprise performance: After a forgettable one-catch performance at Notre Dame a week prior, junior receiver Ronald Johnson led the Trojans in receiving with six catches for 99 yards and a touchdown against the Beavers.

Johnson also made an impressive diving catch on a corner route that got the Coliseum crowd roaring early in the second quarter.

“It doesn’t get any better than that,” Johnson said. “Making a comeback like that, it just feels perfect.”

Johnson missed the first five games of the season with a broken collarbone before making a largely uneventful return against Notre Dame last week.

The Rodgers brothers: Jacquizz and James Rodgers continued to terrorize the Trojans, producing a combined 317 all-purpose yards Saturday. Neither brother weighs more than 200 pounds nor stands taller than 5-foot-7, but that didn’t stop them from torching USC’s defense.

James, the elder brother and a receiver, caught seven passes for 56 yards, ran six times for 46 yards and racked up 96 kick return yards.

Jacquizz, a running back, rushed for 115 yards on 20 carries despite missing the entire second quarter.

“He’s intense,” middle linebacker Chris Galippo said of the sophomore, who ran for 194 yards against the Trojans in 2008. “He’s super explosive, he’s really shifty, he’s got tremendous balance.”

Stat of the game: 482 total offense for Oregon State to 429. The Beaver offense outgained the Trojans for the second consecutive year.

“They are probably the most explosive offense we have played,” USC safety Taylor Mays said. “With Jacquizz and James [Rodgers], it has to be the best offense we have played.”

1. Richard Ableser
    Richard Ableser says:

Do not go to the PREVENT defense in the 4th quarter!!! The first three quarter we play the receivers tight and occassionally blitz. But in the 4th quarter the last two weeks we play soft, allow too much space and never blitz. The difference is obvious, USC loses the 4th quarter even if they win the game it leaves a bad impression of just hanging on. If USC can average over 4 yards per carry -why not run the ball in the 4th quarter when we are ahead and keep the ball away from the opponent?

2. geo
    geo says:

EVERYONE ON THE THE DEFENSE SEEMS TO WANT TO MAKE THE HILITE PLAY RATHER THAN PLAYING THEIR ASSIGNMENT, SO THEY ARE CONTINUALLY OUT OF POSITION, THAT’S HOW BACKS ARE BREAKING OFF LONG RUNS ON CUT BACKS, GUYS ARE OVER PURSUING AND LEAVING OPEN LANES. GRIFFIN DOESN’T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE IS PLAYING FOR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND BEING UNDISCIPLINED WILL REALLY HURT HIM IN THE DRAFT. TAYLOR MAYS IS NOT COVERING LIKE HE IS SUPPOSE TO, HE IS LATE ON COVERAGE AND NOT WHERE HE SHOULD BE ON PASS PLAYS. HIS TOP PRIORITY SEEMS TO BE KNOCKING SOMEONE OUT RATHER THAN PLAYING THE BALL. HE WAS LATE TO THE BALL ALL DAY AGAINST OSU AND ND, HE HAS NO BALL SKILLS AND ONLY WANTS TO HIT SOMEONE RATHER THAN GO FOR THE BALL. IF HE DOESN’T DEVELOP SOME BALL SKILLS HE WILL BE A LINEBACKER IN THE PRO.