LAPD investigating suspicious package [Updated]

Police are currently investigating a suspicious package found two blocks west of campus, and have instructed students to stay away from the area.

According to LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph, an area resident reported the presence of the suspicious package near 35th Place and Budlong Avenue around 1 p.m. An LAPD bomb squad responded immediately and will remain until the situation has been secured, Joseph said.

USC Department of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle said the package was found under a car and there is concern it could be a pipe bomb. LAPD is currently planning to destroy the device, which could cause a loud noise.

“They’re going to, rather than take a chance, detonate it,” Carlisle said.

DPS was called in by LAPD to help evacuate residents, Carlisle said. People living in the area of 35th and Budlong have been moved to on-campus locations, and LAPD has set up a command post on Normandie Avenue.

Carlisle said he was unsure how many, if any, students were affected by the evacuation, though there are students who live west of campus.

All students were instructed to stay away from the area by messages on the Trojans Alert system. The first Trojans Alert was sent at approximately 6 p.m.

UPDATE (10:12 p.m.): The suspicious package — confirmed to be a pipe bomb — has been removed, according to a Trojans Alert sent at approximately 8:30 p.m. The Trojans Alert indicates the actual location of the pipe bomb was 35th Place and Normandie Avenue. Residents are being allowed back into the neighborhood, though LAPD will be continuing to investigate the area.