Recruit Markeith Ambles makes appearance at Galen Center

In the Galen Center on Saturday night, students seated in the student section could see a seemingly reinvigorated USC men’s basketball team take it to the Washington Huskies.

However, if those students turned their heads to the right, they may have also seen the pieces to the reinvigorated USC football team as well.

Recently, recommitted wide receiver recruit Kyle Prater was seated with new USC coach Lane Kiffin by his side watching the Trojans beat the Huskies by 26 points. Also near the new coach were assistant coach Ed Orgeron and recruit Markeith Ambles – whom Kiffin and Orgeron hoped would follow in Prater’s footsteps.

Ambles, who at the beginning of the recruitment season for this year’s signing class seemed a lock to suit up for the Trojans has drawn back a bit from his enthusiasm and was on campus this past weekend for a recruiting visit.

Ambles is considered among the nation’s top recruits for the wide receiver position, ranked by Rivals.com as the third receiving recruit in the nation, and 24th highest recruit among all high school players looking to sign for the upcoming season.

Ambles is also reported to be interested in other top-flight football schools, North Carolina, LSU and defending national champion Alabama among them.

Look for extended coverage of the USC recruiting trail all week on Trojan Fix, and look in tomorrow’s edition of the Daily Trojan for columnist Jon Haber’s take on Kiffin and the recruits’ appearance at the basketball game.

1. Shotgun Spratling
    Shotgun Spratling says:

Ambles didn’t lose enthusiasm for USC. Instead USC and Florida both dropped their scholarship offers, rumored to be because of off-the-field issues.

Ambles then verbally committed to Tennessee until Lane Kiffin left UT. Now it appears, Ambles will get the best of both worlds for him as he’ll get to go to USC, which had been his favorite prior to the Pete Carroll staff rescinding his scholarship offer, and he’ll get to play under Kiffin, who is a coach he really likes.

Hopefully, for Trojan fans, there won’t be any off-the-field issues for Ambles in LA.