Intersection safety a priority for DPS

Much of the discussion about bicycle policies has focused on the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Hoover Street, an intersection with heavy pedestrian traffic. But now USC’s Department of Public Safety is ramping up its safety efforts at the intersection of McClintock Avenue and 34th Street.

According to DPS officials, the congestion at the McClintock and 34th intersection — just south of Gate 5 — is worse than anywhere else near campus. To help remedy the situation, DPS has set up signs warning students to get off their bikes, skateboards or roller skates as they cross the road. Officers are also stationed at the intersection to make sure students follow this rule.

DPS Sgt. Leesa Sandell said many students fail to obey these rules, causing near-accidents.

“The problem is that everyone is in a hurry, so safety is not really a concern at that point for them,” she said. “People are not stopping, and you see people almost get hit.”

Sandell said DPS had hoped the signs would suffice, but it decided the situation was bad enough to warrant stationing officers by the crosswalk to ensure students get off their bikes and cross safely.

“Unless we have uniformed officers present, people will not stop on their own,” Sandell said.

Monica Gomez, a DPS officer who frequently works at the intersection, said it is important for students to help in the effort to keep the intersection safe.

“It’s our responsibility to get students from point A to point B safely, but without their cooperation it’s difficult,” Gomez said.

Gomez said she has seen a number of near-hits, and has even witnessed a staff member from the school of dentistry get hit by a bike as she was trying to cross the street on foot.

“It’s frustrating to see students almost get hit,” she said. “That intersection is not set up to handle that much volume of traffic.”

Some students, however, do not think the precautions DPS is taking are necessary.

Lauren Woods, a sophomore majoring in sociology, said she appreciates having DPS officers at the intersection but does not feel making students dismount their bikes is paramount to safety at the intersection.

“I do like that there is someone who is directing traffic,” Woods said. “I think they should make sure student on bikes stop before crossing but I don’t think they should make you get off.”

Allison Griffin, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said she’s not sure why there is so much focus on the intersection since she has not noticed much congestion.

“It’s really unnecessary since there is no heavy through traffic on 34th Street,” Griffin said.

Others, however, said they don’t mind the rules.

“The rules are good because we need to be careful about crossing,” said Pongrawee Kongkul, a student studying English at the USC Language Academy. “We don’t always follow rules, so having officers remind us helps.”

In addition to monitoring the crosswalks, DPS has also asked faculty and students who drive to campus to use another gate to help reduce congestion.

“Anyone who is not parking in Parking [Structure] D should not be going through that gate; it is a restricted access road,” Sandell said.

DPS is also looking for new ways to decrease the congestion in the area. It has decided to videotape the behavior of students and vehicles in the intersection to see what method would work more effectively to keep the intersection safe.

In the meantime, Sandell said, it is important that students pay attention to the signs and officers and dismount their bikes as they are crossing.

“All we want is that they do what they are being asked to do,” Sandell said. “If the first person gets off their bike at the intersection, most times the others will also get off; we need to set the example.”

1. Cathy
    Cathy says:

Thank you, DPS, it is about time! Can you have a guard there at the end of the day, too? I have to use that intersection in the morning and evening and I have been hit by bikes and no one ever stops to yield to pedestrians.
    I am videotaping the behavior of bikes and other vehicles on this campus, too. Many students ride with a cell phone in one ear and a ipod bud in the other and they are oblivious to their surroundings. I have been contemplating pressing charges against some of these students, now that I can identify them and have videotaped evidence.

2. Christopher Miranda
    Christopher Miranda says:

The signs didn’t work because they also stated “No Motor Vehicles.” It was obvious that the signs weren’t being taken seriously by drivers of motor vehicles or golf carts.

This is another example of DPS confusing students. Is it against the law to ride a bicycle through an intersection? No, it isn’t, as long as you observe traffic signs. By requiring students to dismount their bicycles, DPS pounds it into our heads (whether they mean to or not) that you’re not allowed to ride in an intersection, which just isn’t true.

This also happens at the the Jefferson/McClintock intersection. Students see DPS riding their chariots through the intersection while the “Walk” signs are up. Conclusion? It’s alright to ride the bike while the walk signal is blinking. Is this correct? No… LAPD gives students tickets for this behavior.

DPS fails to observe stop signs at Child’s Way/McClintock, and at Downey/McClintock. I can’t speak for other intersections, as I don’t frequent those intersections often, but it happens.

Supposedly, the DPS Bike Patrol helps DPS officers understand the difficulties of biking on campus. The difficulties of biking on campus include stopping at Stop signs, yet I have never seen DPS Bikes stop at any stop signs.

DPS, when you don’t like what you see, try setting good examples.