International students need a better intro

When I came to USC as a freshman, I was overwhelmed by how different it was from my home in Mumbai. In order not to seem out of place, I tried adopting a new lingo and way of life; I even tried altering my accent for it to sound more “Americanized.” Today, I can’t help but think how much easier things would have been if I had had someone to help me during that time.

Rita Yeung | Daily Trojan

USC has enrolled more international students than any other university in the United States. According to statistics presented by USC’s Office of International Services, an impressive 5,919 international students were enrolled in USC in the 2008-2009 academic year. Moreover, international students make up nearly 9 percent of the total undergraduate student population.

Yet, USC does fairly little to ensure a smooth transition for these students into a new culture.

According to the OIS website, the International Student Orientation, an orientation program for incoming international freshmen, promises to “acquaint new international students with USC [and] help students become more comfortable with the Los Angeles area and U.S. culture.”

During my orientation, the only way that the program aimed to help students “become more comfortable with U.S. culture” was a 20-minute PowerPoint presentation about culture shock.

Yes, acclimating to culinary differences, facing prejudices and dealing with unfamiliar cultural standards are some of the many challenges that incoming students inevitably face as a result of moving to a foreign country.

However, psychological adjustments, such as loneliness, loss of identity and homesickness, are also significant issues that international students often have to deal with.

“It was so hard to see others’ parents coming to USC for Parents Weekend, while mine were so far away,” said Gita Advani, a sophomore majoring in business administration and accounting from Singapore.

Although the staff of Office of International Services does offer assistance with issues related to personal and academic concerns, many students choose not to take advantage of this largely because of the fact that they find it uncomfortable or unnecessary to approach a staff member with their personal problems.

“I go to the Office of International Services only when I need to get a signature before traveling,” said Sahil Khandwala, a sophomore majoring in business administration (international relations) from Mumbai.

An integrated international student mentor program that pairs each incoming international student with a student mentor of the same nationality or field of study would be ideal in aiding this transition. Mentors and mentees could share their individual experiences, address academic, cultural and social concerns, and, most importantly, form a lasting bond of friendship.

USC offers a number of mentor programs for specific groups, including programs like the LGBT Peer Mentoring Program for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students and the Marshall Connections Program for incoming Marshall students. However, USC lacks a specialized mentor program for incoming international students.

To provide a positive experience for these students and ensure that the benefits of having a diverse student population are reaped, USC must offer support to international students through a strong mentor program.

Who better to provide this support than our fellow Trojans?

Amrita Parekh is a sophomore majoring in communication and psychology.

1. unknown_trojan
    unknown_trojan says:

Amrita, well written article. But why would you expect USC to be the same as Mumbai. I am an international student too. I was late and missed the orientation. Heck! I didn’t even know where the Registration Building was. I just asked other students and got around. I only needed help with the immigration matters.
    I think international students should venture out , join some volunteer group make friends. The best orientation you can get is from friends and your seniors.

2. Jon
    Jon says:

I thought the Parkside residences were intended to create a community among/with international students. How is that working out?

Are there any events geared towards international students (as a whole, not just by specific nationality/ethnicity/region)? I recall the I-House at Cal regulary put on events; that seemed to create a sense of community among the international students.

3. Ed Krunk
    Ed Krunk says:

Amrita, you obviously communicate in English well. But other international students who come from countries in which they’re not immersed in English, that is, the British didn’t colonize their countries, got a much harder time adjusting. Count your blessings.

Yes, I know it’s unrealistic and thoughtless for USC to try to acclimate you to Angelino/U.S. culture with a cursory and brisk “20-minute PowerPoint presentation about culture shock.”

USC is just trying to add to the “international student admission” numbers so to raise its academic prestige. It’s a silly game USC is playing without regard to the psychological ramifications of students like you who still feel like something is lacking.

• unknown_trojan
      unknown_trojan says:

wtf do you mean by count your blessings? Should we be glad that the British colonized us?