New styles to Fall for

For Southern Californians, the arrival of autumn is marked by a temperature shift five degrees downward, a slight increase in cloud cover and the occasional smattering of drizzle. What to wear, then, as classes start up and the (mild) heat dies down?

The latter months of 2010 are all about taking those lightweight summer garments and embracing their versatility by layering them with bolder autumn threads. When midterm season goes into full swing, check out these items in the event of an urgent retail therapy session.

For the ladies

Dresses aren’t just for sunny summer days outdoors — consider the dress an item open to creative manipulation. Pair that favorite floral sundress with a jacket and boots or a gauzy shift with tights and heels. If the summer fabrics are a little too worn, consider a piece inspired by the change in seasons.

On the pre-fall 2010 runways, designers presented varied concepts of the dress: from Chanel’s bold prints and strong shape to Vera Wang’s structured slouch, the savvy shopper should embrace the possibility of feminine autumn apparel.

For an idea of this season’s variety, look no further than Anthropologie’s fall releases: its Braque Bodice Dress crosses a busy pattern with a fitted bodice and is the perfect twist of flowy summer silhouettes and an autumn-appropriate structure. At $158, the dress is costly but sets an example for other dress styles from various retailers.

Slide them on

Denim has taken a turn for the slimmer. Skinnies are everywhere. Jeggings (the newborn jean-and-stretch-legging hybrid) are also everywhere. No matter the jean, this season they will be fitted from the hip to the ankle. For a more traditional color, find your match in the Paige Skyline Skinny, which features a dark wash and a fitted straight leg.

Looking for a more playful denim muse? Try Modcloth’s Meet Me at the Mulberry Jeans — a mulberry-and-white jean with cream-colored stitching ($64.99) sure to tickle any color-lover’s fancy.

Top it off

For those not-so-frigid fall mornings in Southern California, outerwear not only provides a barrier between SoCal skin and mild winds, but instantly transitions a piece between seasons.

Trends to watch for this fall?  The military-inspired motorcycle jacket, much like the Lucinda jacket by Guess ($108), adds both warmth and edge to summer’s floral and lace tops or skirts.

And when an outfit needs instant polish, the go-to fix is a fitted blazer; for a more casual, I’m-always-this-effortlessly-fantastic vibe, opt for a looser fit. J. Crew’s Solid Thandie ($148) and Norwood blazers ($248) showcase both the businesslike and relaxed personalities of this versatile piece.

A sharp-dressed man

Much respect should be given to the men who know that a jacket can go with everything and should endure (just about) anything. Trendy types should check out pieces like the D Collection New Gilligan Jacket ($168) from Urban Outfitters. A blend of the traditional pea oat with the military-inspired structures of the season, styles like this are a must-try experiment for the bold.

Fellows on the more casual side might want to look into cozier autumn trends, like the plaid Yellowstone CPO Jacket ($79.50) from Levi’s, which gives the lumberjack pattern a twist with a tweed-like fabric.

Take note — Plaid works as a jacket and a shirt pattern and has passed into an androgynous zone, making it one of the most favored fall styles of men and women alike.

Fits just right

Denim is easy to wear every day, yet it’s much harder to find the perfect pair, with the ubiquitous nature of jeans making the act of choosing a pair seem daunting. LADD Denim keeps it simple: the Los-Angeles based brand focuses on just three styles of jeans this autumn.

Labeled as the Spring 2011 collection, LADD centers around the Jermaine lean fit, the T-Man loose fit and the Blake skinny fit — these three styles will be sure to satisfy most fashion palates.