Legendary radio voice returns to USC

There is a high probability that you are one of the 1.7 million listeners each week tuning in to WBEZ Chicago’s This American Life.

Photo by Daniel Wang

In that case, you’ll recognize Ira Glass’ voice — its bookish, dry sound, comforting and soothing in its unremarkability.

Maybe you listen to him while you’re driving back home from a long day of classes or while you’re running in the morning with the iPod earbuds in your ears. In a time where most kids grow up to iTunes rather than their mother’s bedtime stories, Glass is an iconic figure — except you only know him by his voice.

But on Monday evening, students again had the chance to put a face to that famous voice, as Glass returned to USC after a previous visit in 2007.

It started out in darkness. Glass was introduced with only his familiar voice. There was clapping. Glass continued to talk, but it was still dark. The clapping trickled out, uncertain.

“The nice thing about being in a radio is that you don’t have to deal with how somebody looks,” Glass said. “You just look into their heart. … There’s an intimacy in hearing somebody’s voice in the invisibility of radio.”

And then there was light. Sitting in the middle of the spotlight behind a black-clothed table with a radio player, a microphone and a bottle of water, Glass had a look that made him appear to be right at home, yet caught in the headlight.

“Hello, nice to see you,” Glass said.

With salt-and-pepper hair, black-rimmed glasses and a shy smile, Glass looked every bit as unremarkable as his voice — but like the show he turns out each week, he registered a stance of comfort, ease and conversational intimacy.

Yet, the moment he spoke, he caused the audience to break into continuous laughter; he is also a performer and entertainer. Indeed, Glass has every quality of the ultimate storyteller.

Each week, Glass and his This American Life team piece together a mosaic of field reporting, interview recordings and readings all under a common theme. What sets This American Life apart from other broadcast journalism works is that all these real-life personal stories are woven together by Glass’ artful narration, which is at times witty and dry-humored and at other times empathetic and pensive. And of course, each story structure is pulled through by music that is appropriately suspenseful or uplifting.

During the two-hour session, Glass played various clips from his show to demonstrate the craft of a successful radio program that has consistently rated at the top of iTunes. Unlike broadcast television, there are no colorful visuals. Still, Glass shows how skillful structure and a humble interest for discovery can bring storytelling alive.

“We’re trying to restore the world as a place of joy and humor,” Glass said. “Journalism just seems too grim these days.”

That’s the problem with typical journalism of this age, Glass said. According to him, journalists have lost the joy of discovery and humor as they take on austere, “unamused” expressions and a posture of superiority.

But Glass prefers to go against traditional forms of journalism and instead bring himself down to the level of his audience by being just as surprised, interested and touched by the stories of the people he interviews.

In the same vein of humility, Glass also played an old tape of his early work at National Public Radio, which was cringingly bad.

“There is so much error in there that I don’t even know where to begin,” Glass said amid much laughter, adding that an editor even told him that he had “no talent whatsoever.”

In light of it all, Glass brought a universal message to all students: In whatever work you do, it’s actually normal to be bad — and to be bad for a while. Even the most successful career-makers started out bad.

But with a genuine interest in the world and humble curiosity, Glass has edged himself into the homes of millions of Americans, entrancing them with tales of the individuals in this world.

1. Virginia
    Virginia says:

I don’t understand why people are judging Sophia like they’ve never been a little bit of a nuisance. Unless you’ve never been the person who: plays the music on their ipod too loud at the metro, munches on their popcorn with a little too much relish at the movie theater, or left your car parked on top of the dividing line of two parking spots– then i invite you to come back down to solid ground with the rest of us human beings and off your high horse.

2. lequan
    lequan says:

I will always admire Ms. Lee’s writing and the truth that’s always attached to her writing. Those two reasons alone are enough to keep me going back to her blog every post and coming back to read Daily Trojan posts written by HER.

Yes, she probably was a huge distraction and I understand everyone’s annoyance with her distraction. I would’ve been peeved and annoyed too, but there are always two sides to a story. Instead of blaming her, I actual feel the opposite. I read Ms. Lee’s blog every week and have come to realise what a hard and determined worker she is. Having the ridiculous deadline moved on her suddenly, she was almost forced to bring the laptop with her to complete her job. As she also said in her post, she could’ve just got up and went home, but she didn’t. Her determination to get her job done kept her going. “I’m proud to be a writer for my school newspaper. I actually really do admire and like my editors, who work really hard and are generally good people. And Ira Glass is cool, and my schoolmates deserve to know about his coolness.” I will not tell others what to do, but as a person with many flaws myself, I have much sympathy for Ms. Lee. Nobody is perfect, everybody has done something wrong in their lives. I just read her most recent post, and Ms. Lee obviously sees and understands her mistakes and are learning from them. I will always be a fan of her blog and writing. If she ever gets fired for being determined to please everyone (but herself), then I surely will never read the Daily Trojan again. In fact, the only reason I know about and read the Daily Trojan is because Ms. Lee is one of their writers. With that said, Chin up Sophia Lee, you’ll always have a fan and reader in me because I really do think your writing is superb, honest, and refreshing. You can’t always please everybody, my friend. No more tears, chin up, chest out, and strut proud! :-D

3. Hannah J.
    Hannah J. says:

Sophia posted on her food blog: “To read the feature I wrote on Ira Glass’s speech in 18 minutes under hallucinating state, check this out. I got a rather nasty comment on it too, which threw me back a bit, but then hey, lesson learned: don’t pick up an assignment when you are half-dead.”

I usually admire Sophia’s blog for her bravery and determination and down-to-earth enthusiasm, but I was not impressed with the above statement. I simply don’t think it’s in good taste to brag about how little time you spent on an assignment. Also, reading over this DT article, I don’t think any of the comments on this article are “nasty”–no flaming or disrespect; simply honesty.

Good writers have bad days; if you try your best and don’t do well, it’s understandable because you still tried. But it is irresponsible to brag about not even trying very hard.

4. What a shame, DT
    What a shame, DT says:

One more thing. I just read the blog post that Ms. Lee linked in response to Disturbed Fan, and if it is true that her editor is the one that suggested she take her laptop to the show and whip up an article while the show was still in progress, then I am even more dissapointed with this whole situation.

• Curious
      Curious says:

I’m interested in reading the blog response that Sophia Lee posted. Could you please post the link or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

5. What a shame, DT
    What a shame, DT says:

I have to completely agree with Disturbed Fan. I was also at the show and quite annoyed by the reporter’s obvious lack of respect for the fans who were actually there to enjoy Ira Glass. And reading this review is, quite frankly, even more annoying to me than her behavior at the show. She does Ira and the Daily Trojan a disservice. It is very clear that she was only there because she had to be and was either napping or shoveling (loud) food into her face instead of being a real reporter or reviewer.

If the DT believes this is acceptable behavior and reporting from their staff, then that is a shame. And I definitely won’t be reading any more reviews from Ms. Lee since I don’t find her credible whatsoever.

6. Disturbed fan
    Disturbed fan says:

As a fellow Trojan and This American Life fan, I am disturbed by the quality of this article and the behavior of the reporter. After being politely requested to put away her laptop by the Bovard staff due to its brilliant glare, the reporter relocated to my row, where her loud keyboard clacking, repeated rustling of candy wrappers, and extremely loud eating of the candy was a major distraction. I’m not sure how she felt comfortable writing this article at all, actually, considering that she fell asleep multiple times — guess that explains why she described one of the most unique and warm voices on American radio as “unremarkable” and “dry”.

Ira Glass was gracious in his gift of time and energy to the USC community. He, and all other guests and performers deserve far more respect than to be treated by our news publications in this manner. The DT should pay more careful attention to how they are representing themselves and the Trojan community at large during these events.

Thanks.