Game 11 rewind: Offense never found rhythm

The setup: Then-No. 20 USC came into Corvallis, Ore., fresh off a 24-21 win at then-No. 18 Arizona and looked to build off that momentum as the Trojans tried to break the Corvallis Curse, as they hadn’t won at Oregon State since 2004, after losing their last two games there when ranked No. 1 and No. 3.

A sorry sight · Sophomore quarterback Matt Barkley was helped off the field Saturday after suffering a high-ankle sprain during the second-to-last play of the first half on Saturday. The timetable for his return is unknown. - Brandon Hui | Daily Trojan

The story: Sophomore quarterback Matt Barkley could be done for the season.

Barkley received a high-ankle sprain on his right foot after he was sacked on the second-to-last play of the first half. He was carted off the field and did not re-enter the game. He came out of the locker room in the second half with a walking boot on and using crutches.

“I don’t know the depth of the injury,” USC coach Lane Kiffin said. “Obviously we’ll work to get him back but otherwise we got to move forward.”

Barkley said that being out for the remainder of the year is the last thing he wants to happen and did not know after the game if he will be able to play this week.

Down and out: USC got down early and never came back. Like the previous two losses, the Trojans dug themselves in a deep hole early. A pass from Barkley was intercepted and returned for a touchdown to put the Beavers up 10-0 early in the second quarter.

Seven minutes later, Oregon State running back Jacquizz Rodgers ran the ball in for a three-yard score to put Oregon State up 17-0. The Beavers tacked on a field goal before the half, creating a deep deficit that proved too much for the Trojans.

“The problem with [the interception] is that play happens and you have the feeling, ‘Here we go again,’” Kiffin said. “I’m sure everyone had that feeling. That’s the blueprint for coming in here and playing a team that hadn’t played well the last few weeks before. We handed them the ball and seven points.”

USC found itself in more trouble when Barkley injured his ankle.

As a result, senior backup quarterback Mitch Mustain led the Trojan offense in the second half and gave it some spark coming out of halftime. He led a drive that ended in a 13-yard touchdown run from senior running back C.J. Gable with three minutes left in the third quarter that brought the Trojans within 16.

On USC’s next possession, Mustain put together a nine-play drive but turned the ball over on downs after his pass fell incomplete to freshman receiver Robert Woods on fourth-and-four at the Beavers’ 46-yard line. That incomplete pass would be USC’s last chance to get back in the game as Oregon State scored a touchdown on its next possession to put the game out of reach.

Mustain finished with eight-for-17 passing for 60 yards.

“You can’t put a guy in a much worse situation,” Kiffin said. “On the road against a defense that’s playing really well that day, and we’re not playing great on offense anyway, and we’re down by much. But it was very good for Mitch’s experience especially because he might be our quarterback next week and the week after.”

Mustain said he didn’t feel much pressure going in and enjoyed competing with the outcome of the game still in limbo.

“It’s nice to be playing for something, per se,” Mustain said. “Not that it doesn’t always matter, you can put it on film, but this is different. This is a chance to get in with these guys and really make a difference. The hardest part for me especially is that we didn’t execute in times that could’ve helped us.”

The game was over when: USC walked into the stadium. Even with Barkley running the offense in the first half, he was inconsistent and couldn’t establish any rhythm. The farthest the Trojans ventured into Oregon State territory in the first half was on their first drive to the Beavers’ 26 yard-line, but redshirt junior running back Marc Tyler was stuffed on fourth-and-two.

“If you turn the ball over, don’t make many third downs, barely make any fourth downs and don’t get any turnovers, that’s what happens,” Kiffin said. “Obviously, our offense was terrible.”

The resurgence of Gable: For the first time this year, Gable saw extended playing time and was arguably the best Trojan on the field. After Tyler hurt his ankle in the first half, senior running back Allen Bradford dropped a pitch in the second quarter — and with freshman tailback Dillon Baxter absent after possible contact with a registered NFL agent — Kiffin gave Gable a shot.

Gable’s 56-yard kickoff return in the third quarter set up the Trojans’ only score  — his 13-yard touchdown run. He finished with 10 carries for a team-high 57 yards.

Key injuries: Several Trojans were injured in Saturday’s contest. Barkley went down with a high-ankle sprain, Tyler hurt his ankle, junior right tackle Tyron Smith hurt his knee and redshirt junior linebacker Chris Galippo suffered a concussion.

Galippo should be back next week but the timetable for the return of the other three players is unclear.