“In a community, for a community”

“In a community, for a community” is a special supplemental section of the Daily Trojan, focusing on the ties the University of Southern California has to its surrounding community.

Though the nature of the bond between the school and the neighborhood in which it is situated has changed with the times, an analysis of past, present and future events reveals one thing: there will always be a relationship.

Looking forward by looking back: You can’t blame USC for looking forward. Our university is still rising in stature at a breakneck pace.

Baptism by fire: Though South Los Angeles was ravaged by violent riots in 1992, USC remained steadfast in its commitment to the community.

Homeland security: From climbing the trees in front of Moreton Fig as a child to patrolling campus, DPS Assistant Chief John Thomas’ Trojan spirit runs deep.

Structural integrity: A walk through historic University Park: The neighborhood surrounding campus is filled with architectural treasures that serve as a tribute to Los Angeles’ rich history.

Watchful eyes: How DPS and LAPD monitor the university: The Department of Public Safety draws support from LAPD in patrolling a school positioned in the midst of a major metropolis.

For schools near USC, it’s all part of the family: What began as a partnership between USC and the five grade schools closest to campus has become a staple of university life.

The changing face of Figueroa: As the area south of Downtown Los Angeles crumbled throughout the 1990s, a partnership emerged to turn things around.

Progress is the plan for university and community: Though USC’s Master Plan has been met with various waves of resistance since its introduction, it will benefit all parties involved.

It takes a village: As the university’s 20-year Master Plan comes closer to becoming reality, USC continues to consider the community.