Students fight orientation venue change

Milkshakes, dim lighting and student performances are just a few of the highlights of the Ground Zero Performance Café, where the new student orientation socials have been held for the past three years. For the next generation of Trojans, however, the social will be moved to Tommy’s Place, and some students aren’t happy with the change.

Chilling· Jessyka Linton (left), a freshman majoring in political science, and Thalia Ertman, a freshman majoring in East Asian languages and cultures, enjoy milkshakes at Ground Zero. - Jennifer Schultz | Daily Trojan

Ground Zero served as a temporary location for the social while the Ronald Tutor Campus Center was under construction. The Topping Student Center hosted the event before it was torn down.

“We will be moving the social back to Tommy’s Place,” said Thomas Studdert, director of orientation. “Tommy’s Place has always been tradition and all we are doing is moving the social event back to its original location.”

Some students, however, have developed a sense of attachment to Ground Zero. This sentiment has led Ari Oh, Ground Zero’s coffee bar manager, to start a petition to maintain the location of the orientation’s social event.

“It is part of the USC experience,” Oh said. “The petition was created to show support for Ground Zero.”

Jessica Roldan, a freshman majoring in biology and psychology, said she is upset that the event is being moved to Tommy’s Place.

“I like Ground Zero’s atmosphere, it kinda gives you a hang-out spot,” Roldan said. “Tommy’s Place isn’t really a place to hang out, it’s just an event spot.”

Some students find Ground Zero to be more suitable for new students to meet one another.

“I feel that Ground Zero is more loungey, chill and comfortable,” said Madison Klinghoffer, a sophomore majoring in international relations. “I’d probably be more comfortable at Ground Zero because Tommy’s Place seems more like an awkward room.”

Organizers hope to obtain 1,000 signatures from the many students who feel connected to Ground Zero, but so far only 102 have been secured.

“USC will certainly give consideration to students’ opinion if all 1,000 signatures are obtained, but the decision to make the location change has already been finalized,” Studdert said. “We will consider what our current students want, but it is about what our future students need.”

In the past, the social featured a DJ and a dance. The new student orientation social will now be run by USC Spectrum and will offer a variety of shows. Depending on their orientation session, students will see anything from a club atmosphere, a comedy show or a music performance, according to Studdert.

Laura Rodrigues, a freshman majoring in architecture, said the orientation event should stick to the same format because it is a good environment to meet other new students.

“Whether or not the event is at Ground Zero, the theme should be the same because dancing lets you bond with people, while watching a performance distracts you from meeting new friends,” Rodrigues said.

Some students worry about what will become of Ground Zero when new students are not officially introduced to the venue the moment they set foot on campus.

“I don’t care if they move it,” said Cristina Stan, a sophomore majoring in international relations and economics. “But I love Ground Zero, so I think it would suck for them to lose money from freshmen not buying milkshakes since it is out of the way and hard to stumble upon.”

Some seniors think that despite the appeal of Ground Zero, it is not the best venue to hold orientation events.

“I don’t think it matters if the orientation social is at Ground Zero or Tommy’s Place,” said Daniel Kim, a senior majoring in biology. “For my orientation they took us to explore L.A. Location doesn’t matter, but the events should let you interact and build long lasting relationships.”