Women of Troy look to get back on winning track

While much of the attention on campus last week was focused on football’s National Signing Day, the USC women’s tennis team quietly managed to recruit its own decorated class, regarded by multiple scouting services as No. 1 in the nation.

With the future addressed, the coaching staff can now focus all its efforts on the present.

Strong play · Junior Alison Ramos looks to get the Women of Troy back on the right foot as they begin a three-match homestand against San Diego State, South Florida and Texas at Marks Stadium. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

No. 19 USC (3-1) returns to the outdoor environs of Marks Stadium for a slate of games this week, beginning today with a match against San Diego State (3-1) at 1:30 p.m.

The team suffered its first loss of the season to Michigan last month in a tight affair in which a few unforced errors proved costly, forcing a 5-2 loss.

“We have six matches until UCLA, so we’re trying to build up a winning streak before that game,” said junior Alison Ramos. “Getting a win tomorrow is huge because we really need the confidence after the tough loss to Michigan.”

The Aztecs also enter the match having lost their last game — a lopsided 6-1 defeat to No. 15 Washington.
Despite this loss, however, their top doubles team of Ellison/Ellison is ranked 27th in the nation, and will test USC’s formidable pairing of Ramos and sophomore Valeria Pulido.
Pulido returns to action today after a brief rehabilitation from an injury.
Trotting out a complete lineup will undoubtedly imbue this team with the confidence and stability necessary to rattle off a string of victories.
“We had a tough match against Michigan and we felt that we had a chance to beat them,” said senior Maria Sanchez, the team’s No. 1 singles player and third-ranked player nationally. “But we learned a lot, and this loss has only motivated us to work harder and get better.”
The team’s experienced leadership plans to guide the younger players through this upcoming grueling schedule.
After indoctrinating several underclassmen into the system last season, this year’s squad is a largely veteran group with only one newcomer.
Despite their talent and potential, however, the team has yet to draw the fan following it should.
Ramos implores fans to at least check out the action for a few moments as they pass Marks Stadium.
“We really want people to come out to watch us,” Ramos said. “We know it’s a long process, and that our matches can sometimes last 4 hours, but if they can come in for 20 minutes at least and show their support, that would mean a lot.”
  1. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

It has become a disappointment almost yearly during the tenure of Coach Gallien who has one final four in all the years he has been head coach at USC . This year and next has to produce big time or a change mandatory. Looking at the rankings for recruits how is ucla with two so close to the WOT with four who are all five stars?