Budget woes continue in California

Lawmakers in Sacramento failed to reach a consensus Thursday on how to solve the State’s mounting budget deficit.

Gov. Jerry Brown had hoped to receive a minimum of four republican votes in order to mandate a special election on maintaining tax increases, implemented in 2009 under then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Currently about half of the State’s, $26 billion budget deficit, has been solved through a series of budget cuts including a $500 million cut in funding for the University of California system.

The other $13 billion Gov. Brown planned to recuperate from sustaining current, elevated tax levels. The tax increases cost an average family $260 a year, according to the state Department of Finance.

Republicans insist that Gov. Brown’s budget plan is insufficient, and they refuse to pass a plan that does not meet their minimal needs, which includes greater cuts in pensions and an increase in business incentives.

Democrats, however, are warning Republicans that the time of compromise may have reached its end, and they will move forward with their budget plan regardless of Republican approval.

If neither party can come to an agreement, California residents could see additional cuts in public services such as the DMW and garbage collection.