Arizona law needs refocusing

A federal appeals court affirmed an injunction placed on Arizona’s controversial immigration law SB 1070 last Monday, further halting action against illegal immigration in the state.

It’s become increasingly clear that more resources are being used to prevent illegal immigration than to enhance legal immigration in the United States.

This ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals came a year after Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer initially proposed SB 1070, which would require law enforcement officials to question anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally, which many say will lead to racial profiling.

The proposed  law would require all immigrants to have their registration documents on hand at all times.

The law has incited the ire of immigrants and civil rights activists and drawn national attention to the need for comprehensive immigration reform not only in Arizona, but nationally.

In response to the law’s controversial provisions, the U.S. Justice Department filed suit against Brewer’s law in July, arguing that only the federal government can enforce immigration laws.

Brewer lamented that the ruling puts “the safety and well-being of Arizonans” in jeopardy.

Though I agree with Brewer, the very proposal of the law is a sign of the federal government’s  failure to fulfill its duty of securing our border and enhancing the lives of well-deserving and legal immigrants.

The fact that Arizona’s lawmakers felt the need to use local law enforcement to do the job of border patrol, thus distracting them from concentrating on protecting Arizonans, shows the effectiveness of our immigration system has hit rock-bottom.

The bigger problem, however, lies in the law’s definition of illegal: Both dangerous criminals and honest, hard-working individuals wishing to make a life for themselves are considered illegal.

It is troubling that a country founded on the ideals of democracy and hard work has still not made the distinction between these two groups and, as such, has not yet simplified the process for Mexican citizens and others to legally come to America.

It’s not that we should let everyone in just because they want to be here. But our country should allow more hard workers to prove their worth to our country by making it easier to obtain a worker visa, an idea Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has proposed repeatedly since 2003, but which has been regrettably shot down.

We can no longer lump  law-abiding and dangerous immigrants together.

By keeping the difficult immigration process the same, the federal government is merely perpetuating the influx of non-taxpaying illegal immigrants, both dangerous and well-intentioned, into a country already buried in debt.

Not only would a different approach to immigration allow immigrants to contribute their work and ideas to our diverse nation, it would increase our tax revenue and make it easier for border patrol to stop the potentially dangerous immigrants and those who are not willing to go through the process legally from entering the country and causing harm to our citizens.

America’s economic success was built on the backs of immigrants who were able to come here legally. Their innovation, hard work and passion for the opportunities America had to offer helped to create the country we live in today. We should honor that legacy.

Withholding this same chance from people willing to go through a reasonable immigration process is un-American, as is the government’s failure to protect the citizens who suffer because of  its inaction.

Immigrants today aren’t of a lesser caliber than those in the days of my great-great-grandfather, who came to America from Spain 100 years ago, and to suppose otherwise does a great injustice to those who want to be here for the same reasons we do.

Sarah Cueva is a freshman majoring in political science

1. whirligig
    whirligig says:

illegal schmegal, potao poetato,tomato toemato………… all we need to do is put up a wall (like Berlin) and shoot anyone that tries to get in or out………………………. problem solved!

2. ras
    ras says:

Sarah, so what would this magical law that separates “good” immigrants from “bad” immigrants look like? Exactly how do we “bell the cat”

The notion you are so passionate about pulling Mexicans into the US means you are admitting Mexico is unlivable.

3. Nati Marley
    Nati Marley says:

Thank you Sarah for a thoughtful essay. Comments such as “We do not want America [U.S.] to have borders or laws.” and, “Law enforcement can’t simply walk up and ask someone for their papers for no [any] reason.”, make having a reasonable conversation difficult. Law enforcement more than anyone wants to resolve this issue, and not by creating flawed legislation. Arizona type legislation is unfortunate, but let’s hope intelligent debate ensues.

4. Estoban
    Estoban says:

Federally accepted anarchy has directly led to a swollen 43 million Americans living in poverty as well as 15 million unemployed Americans and legal immigrants. We have NO need for even one illegal invader, hard working or not.

5. Southern Hoosier
    Southern Hoosier says:

Prior to the 1960’s our immigration quota was 100,000 a year. Now it is almost a million. Do we really need a million people coming into this country legally ever year? And another million coming in illegally?

6. Southern Hoosier
    Southern Hoosier says:

“Both dangerous criminals and honest, hard-working individuals wishing to make a life for themselves are considered illegal.” No, they are only considered illegals, if they entered this country illegally, without applying for permission from the federal government. Immigration status has nothing to do if a person is dangerous or not. We have dangerous criminal who are in this country legally.

7. Southern Hoosier
    Southern Hoosier says:

Sarah your story is full of misinformation. Federal law requires all legal immigrants to carry their papers. Local police are not being used to patrol the border. The law only kicks in when a person is stopped for some other reason. For example, if a person is stopped for speeding and has no drivers license or insurance, then under this law the officer can ask for their immigration papers. Law enforcement simply can’t walk up and ask a person for their papers for no reason.

8. wigglwagon
    wigglwagon says:

“It is troubling that a country founded on the ideals of democracy and hard work has still not made the distinction between these two groups and, as such, has not yet simplified the process for Mexican citizens and others to legally come to America.”

That translates to no limits on immigration. Why beat around the bush? Just say it. We do not want America to have borders or laws. Isn’t that what you are saying?