Obama’s changes have been gradual but effective

The 2012 presidential candidates are slowly becoming solidified, and it’s no surprise that President Barack Obama has decided to run again in hopes of serving a second term. Republican candidates like Michele Bachmann make Obama’s re-election even more plausible; remember when Bachmann said abolishing the minimum wage would be a good idea?

All political ideologies aside, it makes sense Obama should be re-elected as president.

Four years is hardly enough time to clean up the mess predecessors left for Obama when he took office. America’s unemployment rate is still rocky and, as the deficit continues to grow, we need a stable force.

If the American people were to elect a new president, the shift at this time of fragility could potentially send the United States into a period of even further economic instability, coupled with increasing partisanship.

Obama has proven to be a stable force who can still procure change despite bipartisanship in Congress. Many were disappointed with some of his decisions — his promise to bring back the troops deployed in Iraq was fulfilled only partially, after his promise to do the job completely helped get him into office — but at this point in time it’s important to realize that Obama has made more positive decisions than negative ones.

Consider, for example, the progress he has made in social politics. In 2009, Obama signed into law the Lilly Ledbetter bill, which gives women more power in suing their employers for unequal pay. This was Obama’s first piece of legislation, and it immediately set this administration apart from that of George W. Bush, which had blocked the bill. He also appointed two females to the United States Supreme Court — another milestone.

Politically speaking, Obama has limited lobbyist access, giving lobbyists less time to try and sway the president — a nice change from the days when Scooter Libby and his friends were running around the White House.  It also allows for at least partial independent thinking on behalf of members in Congress. He ordered a review of all federal options to cut wasteful spending in an effort to balance our out-of-whack budget.

Economically speaking, Obama has halted a major depression. In July, unemployment was at 9.1 percent — an improvement from 10.1 percent in October 2009.

The problem is that people are expecting Obama to solve things overnight.

But when one takes time to really weed through everything he has done, it’s clear that progress is being made — just at a slower pace; the road to recovery is not an easy one.

Though all presidents have done both good and bad things, something sets Obama apart: his charisma, for one, but most of all, his commitment to following through with his promises — and that’s something I didn’t even know politicians were capable of.

Equally important, Obama is a fresh face, he is relatable and he is — dare I say it — hilarious.

Recall the debacle with Donald Trump, former potential GOP candidate, concerning his birth place. Obama’s personality and politics create an alluring pair for voters.

Many who voted for the first time in 2008 voted because they believed Obama could solve things. And he can, but we desperately need to give him more time to finish what he started.

There are some promising GOP candidates, such as Mitt Romney, who could bring great ideas to the table.

But this country needs stability, not political upheaval.

Obama is the answer to the country’s problems for now.

Mellissa Linton is a sophomore majoring in English literature. Her counterpoint runs every Friday.

1. Roxana
    Roxana says:

Good Article OBAMA needs to be RE-ELECTED to finish the good changes he started “A lot is out of his hands,” . “There is only so much one person can do, and one person cannot be blamed for the acts of others.” Politically unaligned, she voted for Obama in 2008 and says she’ll probably do so againitcle.. OBAMA needs to be re-elected to finish the good changes . The white house was already a mess when he took office. thank you miss Linton for sucha a great article..

• Seriously?
      Seriously? says:

“There is only so much one person can do”.

Obama and the Democratic Party had control of the White House and both houses of Congress with solid majorities from 2009 to the beginning of this year, and yet all of their actions during this two-year period controlling the government failed to improve the economy, even to the levels that they promised it would. For example – they said that when their stimulus bill was passed, unemployment would not rise above 8% nationally. The bill passed, and yet unemployment continued to rise to a high of 10.5% and has not once fallen below 9% in the two and a half years since.

How do you explain that?

2. ZMan
    ZMan says:

Demosthenes….

Demand is UNLIMITED.. Anyone can demand anything at anytime.. The trick is to produce it and supply it and we dont do that.. The chinese arent lending us as much anymore so we cant buy their goods they produce..

The President and fed reserve are causing MASSIVE inflation.. They are increasing the money supply daily, you will see it in prices soon when all the deleveraging ends and foreign banks stop propping up the dollar..

The problem in our economy is the debt and Massive bad allocation of capital because of all the bailouts and the stimulus and plus the internal regulations that have made it impossible to conduct business in America. and high taxes..

3. Seriously?
    Seriously? says:

I would need two hours and a series of flow charts to properly explain how absurd the thesis of this article is.

4. tonyb
    tonyb says:

WOW… you obviously have never been in the real world if you think this president has been effective. The only thing he has been effective at doing is polarizing our country and spending away our future. He is Jimmy Carter part duex. Can you say INFLATION?

• Demosthenes
      Demosthenes says:

You really think “INFLATION” is the utmost concern, right now? lol. No, actually right now, it appears lack of demand and unemployment are. Econ 101–the phillips curve: inflation and unemployment are inversely related. In fact, targeting a higher inflation rate, about 3-4%, right now is good-it encourages borrowing and discourages people from hoarding cash (i.e., this stimulates consumer spending and demand which subsequently sends a signal for businesses to employ.)

“Wow… you obviously have never been in the real world if you think this president is causing massive INFLATION.”

• Michael T.
        Michael T. says:

Anyone who thinks inflation is a good thing is an idiot. Inflation destroys your purchasing power and punishes people who save their money, making it not worth what is was before.

• tonyb
        tonyb says:

You got me there… Let me know if you need a job and I will see if inflation is high enough to take on new employees because that savings account is worthless.