Repeal of DREAM gains strength from students

A repeal of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act sponsored by State Assemblyman Tim Donnelly has received significant student support in its first week.

The DREAM Act, signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown on Oct. 10, allows undocumented college students to qualify for and receive state financial aid. If Donnelly obtains valid signatures from 504,760 registered California voters before Jan. 6, a ballot measure to repeal the DREAM Act will appear on the Nov. 2012 ballot.

Source: Californiadreamact.org - Christina Ellis | Daily Trojan

The petition received 7,800 signatures in its first week, and 20 percent was from college students, according to Donnelly.

Donnelly disapproves of the DREAM Act because he says it provides illegal immigrants with some of the same benefits legal residents have.

“We need to have one standard, and offering money to illegal immigrants is just wrong in so many ways,” Donnelly said. “Giving them the same benefits as legal residents and U.S. citizens who’ve worked so hard is wrong.”

Aimee Chang, a sophomore majoring in health promotion and disease prevention studies, said the DREAM Act should be repealed because it could negatively affect U.S. citizens.

“[The DREAM Act] should be repealed because it can really have a negative impact for American citizens,” Chang said. “It is already hard enough to get adequate financial aid as it is.”

Alex Chin, a sophomore majoring in biological sciences, said given the current state of the U.S. economy, money should be spent on citizens rather than on illegal immigrants.

“The economy is in a major slump right now,” Chin said. “By allowing illegal immigrants to obtain financial aid, we’re spending tax dollars on them when we really should be spending it on the education of U.S. citizens.”

College students already pay high prices to attend college and government funds should be directed to help alleviate the financial burden of college for legal residents, Donnelly said.

“What I hear college students complaining [about] the most is not getting their classes,” Donnelly said. “A four year education should not take five years. We’ve broken the promise to students that we will pay for their education and we should fix this instead of paying for the tuition of illegal immigrants.”

Other students, however, said they  believe undocumented students should not be prevented from receiving financial aid.

“Students who graduate from California high schools should receive funding to attend [public] California universities,” said Katrina Kaiser, a sophomore majoring in economics. “[Undocumented students] have integrated into the California community, culture and economic fabric.”

1. Rich
    Rich says:

Rosie…you are one of the most ignorant people I have ever read on any site….you think paying roughly 9% sales tax on a 100$ bag of groceries even comes close to paying for what they take from the system. Everything we have, roads, hospitals, schools, parks, are all based on a formula that depends on tax revenue. Tax revenue is calculated on how many people are working and earning an income…because income taxes are the biggest revenue generator….when you have millions of illegals taking from the system, but not contributing income tax…guess what, you have a huge hole….FACT, we have one of the biggest population of illegal immigrants in the country…FACT, we have one of the more liberal, generous, entitlement programs in the country, including large sums of money going to illegal immigrants. FACT, most immigrant laws are not enforced in california. FACT, Ca ecomomy is broke and near collapse. I know we all want to be nice people, but we have to take care of us first and foremost. We cannot continue to give what we have away to those who dont live here legally. if we do, we will lose it all. If you think life is hard now, wait untill what we have collapses. Rosie, educate yourself with REALITY. stop running around with ignorant ideas and opinions that are hurtful to America…and PLEASE STOP BLAMING AMERICA.

2. Rich
    Rich says:

1st: API students = API’s are 2nd largest undocumented student population!!! – OUTRIGHT LIE. THERE ARE NO STATS TO BACK THIS UP
    2nd: MANY if not MOST undocumented pay taxes! MORE RICH CITIZENS (ie: large corporatations, banks) are the tax evaders! – BIGGEST LIE EVER. MOST ILLEGALS WORK UNDER A FAKE SSN, AND EVEN MORE WORK UNDER THE TABLE. AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT PAYING TAXES IS THE RARE EXCEPTION, NOT THE RULE YOU LIAR.
    3rd: PREVENTION and support has STRONGLY been found to reduce the overall societal cost aka: spend now and help these undocumented kids now, reduces bigger costs later! NOT EVEN CLOSE BEING A FACT BASED IN REALITY. CA IS BROKE LARGELY BECAUSE WE KEEP GIVING LOADS OF MONEY THOSE THOSE WHO DONT PUT BACK INTO THE SYSTEM. ALSO, THE TOP 10% OF WAGE EARNERS IN THIS COUNTRY PAY ROUGHLY 80% OF THE TAXES. ROUGHLY 50% OF THE POULATION PAYS ZERO. YOUR ARE NOTHING BUT A LIAR. YOUR FANTASY FACTS ARE OURTIGHT LIES.
    4th: these kids didn’t ask to be brought here. NOT OUR PROBLEM. THESE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT CHILDREN HAVE THE RIGHT TO APPLY AS A FOREIGN STUDENT, AND PAY THE SAME TUITION AS FOREIGN STUDENTS. THEY SHOULD NOT BE GETTING FREE MONEY FROM A BROKE SYSTEM THAT IS BROKE BECAUSE IT HAS TO MANY LEACHES WHO ONLY TAKE, BUT DO NOT GIVE BACK. IF THESE KIDS WANT TO BLAME SOMEONE, THEY CAN BLAME THEIR PARENTS FOR BREAKING THE LAW TO BRING THEM INTO THE COUNTRY. WE ALL PAY FOR THE SINS OF OUR PARENTS. I WOULD RATHER HELP OUT AMERICAN CHILDEREN.

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A HATER OF AMERICA AND ITS PEOPLE. YOU ARE SO IGNORANT YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT THOSE WHO CREATE THE JOBS WE ALL NEED ARE THE PEOPLE WHO CAUSE DAMAGE TO THIS COUNTRY. NO, ITS THOSE WHO BREAK OUR LAWS AND VIOLATE OUR SOVEREIGNTY THAT CAUSE IMMEASURABLE DAMAGE TO OUR COUNTRY. IT IS COMPLETELY UNFAIR TO EXPECT THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, OR THE USA, TO PAY FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT A LEGAL PART OF OUR COUNTRY. IF YOU THE WRITER FEEL SO STRONGLY ABOUT EDUCATING ILLEGALS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE YOUR ENTIRE SALARY TO THEM, NOT MINE. IN OTEHR WORD, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOU MOUTH IS.
    THE APPEAL OF THE DREAM ACT ISNT AS MUCH RACISTS AS YOUR IDEAS ARE THOSE OF A BIGGOTED ANT-IAMERICAN. I AM TIRED OF THOSE WHO WANT TO STEAL FROM AND ATTACK AMERICA, AND BLAME US FOR EVERYTHING.

3. Clandestino
    Clandestino says:

Are citizens afraid of competition? Isn’t that what capitalism is all about……? If a college student is smarter and works harder to get a career, shouldn’t we regard that, regardless of immigration status? Why are we hard on immigrants now if in the past they were received with open arms and access to public benefits? Shouldn’t we invest in all young people that want something better for this country? The California Dream Act sets the state on the path to a more prosperous future, economically and socially. If anything, that is what has made California so great….

• Don Honda
      Don Honda says:

You are deliberately confusing Illegal and Legal Immigrants. CA Community College does not require a minimum GPA (fee-tuition waivers and EOPS) while most of the other State aid being given to AB 131 Illegal Alien Students requires only a 2.0-2.6 GPA. Honest competition?–I don’t think so.

This is clearly Economic Discrimination against US Citizens, Legal Californian Residents, and Legal Immigrants who have seen their tuition rates rise dramatically while not being eligible or have seen their financial aid reduced. It is this discriminated population who ARE our FUTURE.
      Also, with the heavy recruitment of out-of-state and Foreign Nationals who can pay nearly twice the in-state tuition rate to refund our defunct education system, Legal Californian Residents and Legal Immigrants will be “priced out” and “placed out” of THEIR American Dream, THEIR higher education.

4. USC student
    USC student says:

so much ignorance and racism… THIS IS A SAD SAD trend in our young society!

1st: API students = API’s are 2nd largest undocumented student population!!!
    2nd: MANY if not MOST undocumented pay taxes! MORE RICH CITIZENS (ie: large corporatations, banks) are the tax evaders!
    3rd: PREVENTION and support has STRONGLY been found to reduce the overall societal cost aka: spend now and help these undocumented kids now, reduces bigger costs later!
    4th: these kids didn’t ask to be brought here.

I am tired of reading uneducated racist rants! Most of these students want to be positively contributing, giving members of society.
    Give them the chance before forgetting that most of you came from some other part of the world wanting a “better life” for your kids, grandchildren, great-great…

• Don Honda
      Don Honda says:

You’re being off-topic and misleading. Illegal Aliens pay little in taxes when they work low-paying menial, cash, under-the-counter, non-reportable income. It cannot compare to the amount contributed in “taxes” with the amount that is sucked from our social services, education, and healthcare systems. Did you know that Illegal Aliens can take a $1,000 per child tax credit it they decide to “file” taxes, using an ITIN? Thank a whistle-blower that this loophole will be rescinded soon.

I see no one in this forum mentioning “race” until you. You’re the one being a racist and classist and deliberately trying to divert from the subject. Perhaps you are still succumbing to the tired rhetoric that being against Illegal Aliens is being racist. I think only a UC undergrad from Berkeley will swallow that one. You’re the one spreading hate against US Citizens, Legal Californian Residents and Legal Immigrants who are entitled to their financial aid, their need for a world-class higher education (now much diminished) because THEY ARE OUR FUTURE!

Get more info from Facebook Stop The Dream Act.

5. Sandra S
    Sandra S says:

@Justine – $14.5MM is money better spent toward students who are here LEGALLY. It is unfortunate their parents broke the law. If and of them are working here ILLEGALLY then they are not paying TAXES, which means that the TAXPAYERS are paying for their education – in other words, they are stealing from the taxpayers. I am having a hard enough time putting my children through college in this bankrupt state. Overcrowding in the community colleges has made it virtually impossible for my daughter to get the classes she needs. Why should legal citizens have to go to community college for 3 years for a 2 year degree, just so all of the illegals can get an education? It’s not right, and it’s not fair. I will be signing the petition, and finding hundreds of other voters to do the same.

• Rosie
      Rosie says:

First of all, please explain to me HOW they do not pay taxes? Last time I remember when they go shopping they get taxed, when they work (even illegally) they get taxed, when they go to college they get taxed! And also, since WHEN? are taxpayers paying for their college education? Because hey the DREAM does not go into effect until 2013, so currently these student work harder, than any other American citizen! yes I said it, to go to college because hey they work hard working who knows how many jobs and applying for academic scholarships. Please get your facts straights and read the news because then you will just be infecting people with your ignorant lies.

FYI tell your children that there is OTHER type of aid besides the government. Like jobs, internships, scholarships. Also, community college is still a good valuable education so don’t discredit it. It just all depends how students make the best of it for their future.

6. Don Honda
    Don Honda says:

This site won’t let me post URLs, so:

LA Times 9/01/11 “State Senate Oks Part of California DREAM Act

For the first year alone:

“It is not known how many undocumented students would be eligible for the aid. A Senate committee analysis estimated the bill’s cost at about $40 million. That includes $13 million for Cal Grants, which average about $4,500; up to $15 million in community college waivers; and $12 million in institutional aid from the University of California and California State University systems.”

“On behalf of the California Student Aid Commission, I am requesting a correction to a quote attributed to me, Lori Nezhura, Legislative Director for the California Student Aid Commission, in the “Trying to Keep the Dream Alive” article posted on July 14, 2011 on EGPNews.com.
    It is imperative that your readers be informed that the number of High School Entitlement Cal Grants and Transfer Entitlement Cal Grants are unlimited and available to all students meeting financial need, GPA, and other eligibility criteria. Therefore, if passed, Dream Act students will be able to receive these awards if they meet the same requirements.
    Conversely, the number of Competitive Cal Grants is limited. However, the bill stipulates that Dream Act students may only receive one of these awards provided funds remain after all eligible non-AB 540 California residents are awarded.”

• Don Honda
      Don Honda says:

Also, Community College does not have a minimum GPA (fee-tuition waivers and EOPS) and most other State aid requires only a 2.0-2.6 GPA. Most Aid is given on a “need” basis and is not competitive. The Best and The Brightest???–I don’t think so.

Misinformation can lead to Legal Californian Residents and Legal Immigrants to lose out their chance to THEIR right to a higher education, THEIR American Dream when they have seen their tuition go up dramatically, while not being eligible or have seen their aid reduced. THEIR only option is to be saddled with crippling Loan Debt.

Got to Facebook, Stand With California (And Against Illegal Immigration) and to StopAB131 dot com.

7. Misinformation Breeds Hate
    Misinformation Breeds Hate says:

The money that may be available to undocumented students is only AFTER the rest of students are covered. So it’s not that Americans are being denied $ for school.

I agree that there is a lack of transparency, but that exists with just about everything. Yet I feel it is wrong to deny someone who is TRYING to further themselves and get an education. Most have been raised in America, are assimilated and who is to say that within the pool of undocumented students may not be the next person to make a life changing discovery.

If it was an easy process for a young person who was raised in the U.S. to become a citizen I would oppose the Act, but since it is NOT a simple process then why not give them help when they are actively trying to better themselves. This is not welfare, this is education and it is left over $ (if there is any) after citizens get their $.

• fredbob
      fredbob says:

If there is ANY money available after all the citizens are taken care of, that “extra” isn’t really extra and could, no, SHOULD be used to give help to additional citizens and LEGAL immigrants who qualify.

• Rosie
      Rosie says:

@Misinformation Breeds Hate

AGREED! people just seem to prefer to remain ignorant and not learn the facts, so as a result they lash out on undocumented AMERICANS, when the true problem lies with our government who kept cutting away at our education.

8. Don Honda
    Don Honda says:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dream-20110901,0,5365623.story

For the first year alone:

• Don Honda
      Don Honda says:

Did you know that there is no minimum GPA for Community College (fee-tuition waivers and EOPS) and most other State aid requires only a 2.0-2.6 GPA to qualify to receive free money? The best and the brightest?–I don’t think so.

9. The truth
    The truth says:

First, the DREAM act was supposed to only draw from private funds. Now it’s going to draw on state funding.

There is a lack of transparency when it comes to budgeting in CA, and hence CA’s budget in the red. So 14.5 M$ is specious; I bet they want to draw a lot more than that.

I say NO to your DREAM.

10. Marty
    Marty says:

You are “dreaming” if you do not think that this Act will not cost taxpayers money and take away dollars for education from legal American citizens. Funds are limited and the state of California can not pay its own bills. Private dollars are limited as well. This Act can only hurt U. S. Citizens and in response to the above comment, get to know a legal student first before you think about opposing the CA DREAM Act.

11. Justine
    Justine says:

The people who oppose the CA DREAM Act only oppose it because they are being given false information, from people like Donnelly. This bill will not affect citizens directly or negatively, it will cost $14.5 million but that is nothing compared to the whole budget towards financial aid for public schools, which is $1 billion. That’s not even 1% of the budget. Opponents of the bill that go to private schools don’t really give a *@$% about the bill because citizens and legal residents already have the advantage to pay for such an expensive tuition anyway, but undocumented students face many struggles that people don’t see. Get to know an undocumented student first, before you think about opposing the CA DREAM Act.

• fredbob
      fredbob says:

Regardless of the struggles they may face, we as a nation are not obligated to subsidize another country’s poor. There are plenty of poor citizens and legal immigrants who should get this money. That measly 1% can help more people that need the money who are here legally. Get to know some of the poor citizens this will take opportunity from before you think about supporting the CA DREAM Act

• USC alum
      USC alum says:

Justine: why should citizens and legal residents be forced to pay for the tertiary education of illegal immigrants? That $14.5 M didn’t appear out of thin air. If the illegal immigrants qualify for this low income-based financial aid, their eligibility corroborates the popular belief that their tax contributions to such public funding are negligible if not zero.