Letters to the editor

Article offensive to transgenders

My name is Dylan and I am a transgender sophomore at USC. I have only recently started my transition, and I have attended USC throughout my entire coming out process thus far. Though I have seen trans rights discussed in the Daily Trojan before (re: the counterpoint piece on the necessity of gender-neutral bathrooms), I have never been as offended, hurt and shocked by the content of the Daily Trojan as I was by the article written by Engie Salama. Salama comments on the perceived necessity of the laws in place in California that help protect transgender people, and she urges people to be more compassionate and understanding toward those who might not be comfortable around trans people.

Salama is privileged that she has not been exposed to the horrific amount of bullying, violence and harassment faced by transgender individuals. She is lucky to not be affected by the disturbingly high rates of suicide and homelessness in the transgender community.

According to Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, “[the center’s] study participants reported attempting suicide at a rate more than 25 times the national average.” Forty-one percent of all respondents reported they had attempted suicide, compared with a national estimated average of 1.6 percent.

That means transgender individuals are over 25 times more likely to attempt suicide than their cisgender counterparts. But “surely there are larger problems to worry about,” Salama said. The article goes on to critique the California laws that allow transgender individuals to change the gender markers on their legal identification. Salama argues that the ease with which transgender people can change their gender markers on their passports is problematic and unnecessary. Having an ID that accurately reflects a trans person’s gender is not a petty matter of semantics — it is a matter of safety.

When someone’s ID does not match their presentation, it puts them in very real danger, especially when dealing with police, bouncers at clubs and other such security personnel. Even the simple act of providing ID with a credit card purchase can be a scary and unsafe situation for a transgender individual whose identification does not align with their identity or presentation.

The rights of individuals to hold jobs and interact in the public and private spheres without being discriminated against based on their gender identity or expression are not small and trivial problems. They are very real rights that allow very real people to lead (hopefully) happy, safe lives. Gender identity is not a choice, nor are the horrific injustices faced by trans people “narrow, personal issues.”

Hopefully, Salama will reach out to me and other trans members of the Trojan Family to learn about our experiences and learn some compassion instead of writing articles about how our lives don’t matter.

Dylan

Sophomore

Respect for others must never be compromised

While I understand the article is an opinion piece, it was written with an incredible amount of disrespect toward the transgender community.

As someone who fully supports LGBT rights and has friends who are transgender, I was extremely dissappointed in the fact that this article was published. It is stated that “We should instead be more accepting of the people who aren’t as comfortable with working with people who identify as transgender.” If we should do that, then should we also be accepting of the people who aren’t comfortable working with blacks? Or gays? Or Muslims?

I understand the importance of free-thinking and self-expression. Compromising the respect of others should, however, never be a part of that free-thinking and self-expression, particularly in a college newspaper.

Please don’t encourage ignorance. Fight it.

Kathleen Porter

Sophomore, theatre

Acceptance necessary in social realm

I found it difficult to gather my thoughts after reading the shockingly backwards opinion piece published Nov. 14 in the Daily Trojan by Engie Salama.

It would appear that this freshman still has a lot to learn. My stomach churned as I read, “The truth is, many people might not be comfortable accepting others for their personal decisions.”

Do some research next time and you’ll find out that science is not backing you on this. You are running against a truckload of biological evidence in the areas of genetics, neuroscience and developmental biology. Gender identity is not a decision. Sexual orientation is not a decision.

She asks, “Is it really necessary to create a law to expedite that transition?” Was it necessary to end discrimination against women? What about African-Americans? Where do you draw the line? Who deserves explicit protection by law because I would love to know.

But that’s not where the madness stopped. She continues, “We should instead be more accepting of the people who aren’t as comfortable with working with people who identify as transgender.”

Should we also be accepting of people who aren’t comfortable working with gay people? With African-Americans? With Asians? It’s the same thing — it’s an inborn trait that can’t be changed. Her assertion that gender is a choice is scientifically false. If you believe otherwise, you’re up against the American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association.

Mackenzie Dacre

Senior, biological sciences

Government should protect citizens’ rights

I was distressed by the author’s implication that a state government must pay more attention to the people uncomfortable with any identities when making decisions about which class of people to protect. The author believes “We should instead be more accepting of the people who aren’t as comfortable with working with people who identify as transgender.”  This type of argument, however, leads to a lack of protection for any vulnerable and disempowered people.

If we were to extend this type of thinking to other groups that could willfully discriminate, then women, the elderly, people with disabilities, legal residents and religious minorities would be at risk for losing their jobs simply because of who they are or what they believe because people are uncomfortable  with their identities.  If the author was denied housing, job or education  because of the author’s expressed identities, would she accept the government telling her “We’re sorry but people are uncomfortable around you, and you need to live with those consequences of your own identity since some of these are your choice to express.”

If the author believes gender expression is a choice, I would challenge her to identify when she made her choice to express her identity in public ways and why she would continue to express it as a woman knowing that women are also the target for gender discrimination.

The author believes it is not transgender status that makes people the target of discrimination, but socioeconomic status or education.  Though these factors do impact their target status, we cannot discount the fear transgender people feel when trying to go to school, nor are they immune to the attitudes from their teachers and administrators who blame them for being transgender and calling attention to themselves.  So while the author believes there are more pressing issues for the government such as fixing broken lights, I believe the government’s actions are upholding their highest responsibility — protecting its citizens from each other regardless of their identities.

Joseph Rios

Psychology, ’97, doctorate student in higher education ‘14

1. Malikha
    Malikha says:

I believe that Ms. Salama’s comments were misconstrued. I do not think her intent was to offend anyone but perhaps her choice of words may have created a negative perspective on her argument. First of all, let’s face the fact that none of us are truly experiencing any protection by the laws of our beloved homeland(USA). Neither Ms. Salama nor this author is marginalizing the rights of transgenders or anyone else for that matter. I believe that she wanted to present all sides of the prism of understanding and tolerance. Black folks and Jews were treated in the same manner right here in our beloved homeland and in some instances are still being looked upon with intolerance and disdain by the ignorant. Every group has its day to be ridiculed, scorned and ostracized. The key is to remain true to yourself. Despite the many challenges that anyone may encounter(Blacks, Transgenders, Jews, Muslims et al), dignity, integrity and confidence(gained through various networks of like minded individuals) will enable anyone of us to conquer the threat of ignorance. Tolerance is a two way bridge. When we encounter this type of attitude it is our responsibility to educate, educate, educate! When we are met with ignorance we don’t have to run headlong into it but we can make the decision to circumvent or rise above it. Life’s challenges helps us to stretch our potential. If transgenders are having problems renting from the ignorant, then this should push for more collaboration to pool resources and purchase property that can be rented without bias to those in need. Remember where there is a will there is a way and it takes two to tango. We have to all realize that our toes will be stepped upon when circulating within the domain of the ignorant. Imagine how Muslims feel when their beliefs and their Deity are attacked by the ignorant? Imagine what it’s like when you are denied a promotion on a job because of your beliefs as a Muslim? Imagine what is like when you go to the bank to deposit a check and you are taken into a room to be interrogated then locked up in jail for a mistake that the bank made. I can go on and on with the myriad travesties surrounding our human condition but would it change anything externally? In closing, I would like you to ponder this thought: Nothing changes (on the outside) until one changes what’s inside one’s self. Peace.

2. Violence
    Violence says:

We do not need new laws for the transgendered. We already have laws against violence (murder, assault, mayhem, rape, fighting words). Why are these laws insufficient to protect the transgenedered?

Ignorance and Intolerance go both ways. You cannot jail or sue the intolerant without showing yourself intolerant. To think that you are enlightened is to deny your own ignorance.

• Dylan
      Dylan says:

No one here is asserting that the intolerant or ignorant should be jailed, or that violence should be used against those who are intolerant of trans people. The letters here are simply making the point that Miss Salama’s article was transphobic and that she should be educated about trans people in order to not make similar comments in the future.
      And you ask why the laws we have against “violence” are insufficient in protecting transgender individuals? Just look at the statistics on these crimes against trans people. The laws are ineffective, and trans people deserve protection.

3. Danger
    Danger says:

” transgender individuals are over 25 times more likely to attempt suicide”
    I ask, why one would choose this? Is the benefit worth more than the risk? How many people would choose the expensive transformation without state assistance?

4. DTF
    DTF says:

These letters are an affront to the high journalistic standards of the Daily Trojan, contain no coherent thoughts and should never have been published! I demand an immediate retraction and apology from the Daily Trojan and hope that they will never allow such offensive drivel to stain these hallowed pages. Er, pixels.

Man. I feel so much better now that I fit in. Oh crap, wrong article? I can never get anything right!

5. USC
    USC says:

Thank you very much for your letters. The Daily Trojan executive staff members do not seem to understand what is going on. I hope the paper did not publish that ridiculous opinion piece to increase readership of the paper. DT is not MTV and no need to create a show like “Jersey Shore.” I understand readership of DT has declined over the years because of its poor contents that are unrelated to students but creating controversy is not the way to increase readership. Why don’t you learn from Oprah Winfrey and continue the paper with “good intention” without worrying about readership? When your readers feel the connection with DT, then more people will read your paper.

Regardless, I highly recommend DT to issue a statement regarding the controversy.

6. Max
    Max says:

You responded with much more class and dignity than I could’ve. Great comment. Hopefully the author realizes exactly what she’s saying.

7. Jasmine McAllister
    Jasmine McAllister says:

I admire all of you for addressing the misunderstandings in Salama’s article, upsetting as they may be.
    Many people, myself included, don’t know very much about the transgender community before going to college, and your efforts to spread awareness and acceptance are really important.
    Thank you for bravely speaking out against bullying and discrimination.

Jasmine McAllister

Freshman

8. S.A. Small
    S.A. Small says:

I don’t think Ms. Salama is aware that being “accepting of the people who aren’t as comfortable with working with people who identify as transgender” is more or less the default of our society right now. We don’t need to fight for those people, and to suggest that they need some sort of protection is ridiculous. On the other hand, transgendered folk have had to fight uphill for a long time for the few legal protections they have.

I’d like to thank the letter writers for their courage in speaking out and their eloquence in rebutting the original op-ed. Keep up the good work!

(Shad Small, Class of ’07)

9. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

A good start! Bravo Trojans! Meanwhile, I’ll assume that a formal apology is forthcoming from the DT. If not, I hope that everyone else who was offended by this will join me in demanding a refund of whatever tuition money was used to subsidize this discriminatory crap.

Also, I’d like to thank Ms. Salama for doing more to raise awareness of trans rights than any other Trojan in my memory. And just in time for the Day of Remembrance, too!

10. Christine Crowley
    Christine Crowley says:

Dear Engie,

While I appreciate that each person is entitled to his or her own opinion, I find it difficult to support opinions that are not founded on any form of research other than the author’s own, limited frame of reference. It is interesting to me that this article was written without any interviews, citations or personal experience to substantiate your argument. To state that we are not considering those who feel “uncomfortable” within the Anti-Discrimination Act, is to place the “uncomfortable person’s” needs above those of transgender individuals. I ask, who gave you the right to do so?
    There may be, as you said, “bigger fish to fry” in the scheme of the world, but if smaller cases of injustice and discrimination go unchecked, then larger problems are irrelevant. Personally, I don’t much care about the national budget imbalance if I’m getting bullied every time I leave my house. I sincerely hope that through the comments you’ve received on this article, you will try to see this from the perspective of those affected every day by gender discrimination. I am sure that, at times, you have felt judged in some way, on some aspect of your life, and I find it hard to believe you would be so complacent about giving up your rights to express yourself. Why then, do you give away another’s freedoms in such a cavalier manner?

Just something to think about.

Christine Crowley

11. Christine
    Christine says:

I commend everyone here for composing their responses to this unsettling opinion piece in such an articulate manner. You have my respect and support, as does the entire LGBTQ+ community.