Expo Line scheduled to open April 28

Los Angeles Mayor and Chair of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Antonio Villaraigosa announced Friday that Phase I of the Expo Line will open on Saturday, April 28.

All aboard · Phase I of the Expo Line is scheduled to open on April 28. The line will run from Downtown Los Angeles to Culver City. Phase II, expected to completed in 2015, will offer service to Santa Monica. - Phoebe Pan | Daily Trojan

The Expo Line runs adjacent to the University Park Campus on Exposition Boulevard and connects Culver City and Downtown Los Angeles. The line is 8.6 miles long and it will serve 12 stations, two of which are shared with the Blue Line, which runs between Downtown Los Angeles and Long Beach. The Expo line is expected to transport 27,000 passengers daily, according to Metro.

“The opening of Expo Line Phase I is a critical step towards creating the multi-faceted transit network that Angelenos deserve,” Villaraigosa said in a press release.

The line will run seven days a week and is expected to operate from 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Rick Jager, a Metro media relations representative, said it is likely that Metro will offer free rides on the new Expo Line during its opening weekend, April 28 and April 29.

“It will take board approval but in years past, every time we open up a line, we offer free rides on the weekend. [Villaraigosa] indicated that it looked like we would give free rides away on the opening weekend of the Expo Line,” Jager said.

To prepare for regular service when the line opens and integration with Blue Line service, Metro has begun testing the trains along the Expo Line seven days a week from 4:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m., an increase from previous tests, which ran from approximately 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.

USC students need to be cautious when crossing the train tracks with the increase in testing, Jager said.

“Students need to be aware that from now until April 28 there will be testing,” Jager said.

Phase II of the Expo Line is expected to be completed in 2015, according to Metro. This addition will extend the Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica.

1. Scott Mercer
    Scott Mercer says:

Keep in mind that this new line does not connect the USC area only to Downtown, but to every other point on the Metrorail network in Los Angeles County. Metrorail is currently the fifth most extensive one in the United States, and is going to get bigger, probably up to the second most extensive within 10 years. As of April 28th, you’ll be able to get on a train and go to NoHo, Hollywood, Koreatown, Pasadena, Long Beach, El Segundo, and dozens of other places in between. Three other expansions coming on line within 4 years also.

2. eric
    eric says:

Awesome I can’t wait to start using this. Forget my car!! Three stops near USC will really be a huge change.