In Photos: LAPD/USC press conference

LAPD and USC held a press conference Friday to announce a $125, 000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect or suspects responsible for the deaths of graduate students Ying Wu and Ming Qu. The LAPD deputy chief, USC administrators, and Wu’s host mother spoke at the conference.

The press conference began at 1 p.m. at the crime scene location on the 2700 block of Raymond Avenue. - Otto Hsiao | Daily Trojan

In front of the home where Ying Wu lived, a book is left for mourners to write messages for the victims' families. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

LAPD Deputy Chief Pat Gannon opened the press conference. - Otto Hsiao | Daily Trojan

The victims' parents and some extended family members were granted visas and will arrive within several days, according to Vice President for Student Affairs Michael L. Jackson. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

Senior Vice President for Administration Todd Dickey said the university is offering a $125,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the suspect or suspects. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

Ying Wu lived with her host family since June. Her host mother, Jacqueline Hamilton, said Wu and Ming Qu had developed a close relationship. - Ani Kolangian | Daily TrojanAni Kolangian

An LAPD police officer answered questions in Mandarin for Chinese media outlets. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

Chen Zhunmin, head of the education office for the Chinese Consulate in Los Angeles, answered questions following the press conference. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

Ying Wu's neighbors watched the press conference from the porch of their own home. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

LAPD handed out fliers and set up a large poster with information regarding the $125,000 reward. - Otto Hsiao | Daily Trojan

Anyone with information is asked to call the LAPD's Criminal Gang Homicide Division at (213) 485-4341 or the Detective Information Desk at (877) 527-3247. - Otto Hsiao | Daily Trojan

1. John Timms
    John Timms says:

@Josephine I don’t believe I’d go quite so far as calling for his replacement, but I do wonder that Nikias has not appeared in any of the photos or issued any statement with his name on it. I would have expected more from him.

And your point regarding more/better/cheaper housing is a good one. It could also be said that the Master Plan for replacing the UV would lead to better housing, since it does call for something like 2,500 new beds.

2. Josephine
    Josephine says:

Has Max Nikas even shown up for this crisis? Has he shown any leadership at all? Is he just hiding in his office and letting others handle it? There are lots of things he could be doing, such as partially subsidizing the building of nice apartments ( possibly high rise) across the street from USC or promising to partially subsidize the rent of graduate students and other students not from wealthy families if developers would build such housing. Let’s face it. Students who can afford to live in Gateway do not get shot, stabbed or assaulted. USC could make things a lot safer for its students but will not spent the money to do so. If Nikas does not act, then he is a failed leader and USC should replace him.